Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor septic tank pump tripping - should I replace the socket?

Options
  • 05-02-2024 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭

We have a septic tank chamber in which we have a submersible pump, every couple of months the darn thing keeps tripping. I’m pretty sure it’s the plug, it’s very damp. Now if I plug it in, it immediately trips. The elements are visibly wet on the plug pins and the mounted socket looks damp. Should I just get an eletrician to replace the whole unit?

Edit: I have a 3 pin plug (from pump) connected to one of those circular 3-pin outdoor plugs which plugs into this socket. I presume from Googling I'd better off just getting a waterproof 3-pin outdoor plug like the one from Screwfix here? https://www.screwfix.ie/p/british-general-ip66-13a-1-gang-sp-weatherproof-outdoor-switched-socket/389xh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

Had that exact issue with a pre installed unit using a domestic grade socket.

Any time there was torrential rain everything would trip. Replaced and no further issues but i wouldn't be going with that screwfix option

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

Thanks for the prompt reply, that's exactly it, heavy rain and it trips. I assume any of those outdoor waterproof 3 pin sockets would suffice?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭meercat

That’s a16 amp socket. Need to reposition it in a dryer area and replace with a suitable I.p one

True, I just assumed it should be installed in the same position but I could actually install outside of the chamber since you can see the wire is just connected on the outside of plug.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Make sure its on an rcd and do yourself a favour put it inside an outdoor enclosure box. A sealed one.

• Advertisement

Thank you, so something like this on Screwfix and additionally enclosed in a waterproof enclosure?

That on its own is good, but your existing socket is a 16Amp one. Should replace like for like and put that in an outdoor enclosure. Make sure the consumer unit end is properly protected on the board end for outdoor supply.

Thank you. I have one more question, I'm not sure if it's a stupid one! Given the submersible pump is a standard 3 pin plug, which is then plugged into a 16amp adapter which itself is fitted to the 16amp plug would I not be better off just replacing with a standard 3 pin plug?

Thank you 🙏

• Advertisement
Advertisement