Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using a library 3d printer

Options
  • 05-02-2024 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭

Complete novice to the world of digital printing, but there’s a printer in my local library, and if I wanted something printed what file format do they accept, and is there anywhere you can recommend where I can upload a photo of something and generate a file from it. Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

File format is a .stl.

You can't 3d print a photograph. You need a 3d model in STL format.

Try thingiverse.com for an example of 3d printable objects.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭BengaLover

yes I’m aware I can’t print a phot, I was asking what file format they require. For example CAD, pdf etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Usually a CAD or some other 3d image file. A solid model, mesh, or point cloud can usually be converted to a .STL

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

My two cents as I am getting in to printing too but I would recommend getting a printer yourself. You can get a really good one like an ender pro cheap today.

The reasoning being your first few prints tend to likely fail and if you had it at home you could stop and reprint.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭leandrolorenzi

I need a 20 cm TPU tether/cable in blue, original part is only in black.

Looking at online marketplaces (ddd.io) the printed part is quoted 5ish Eur (plus shipping 10 Eur).

So I wonder if I am better off to get it printed in a library

How does the 3d printing service in the library work?

I live in Blanch and I never saw someone using the printer.

https://www.printables.com/model/485935-gas-cap-tether-fiat-bravo-2/collections

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Ask your local library, It's different in each authority.

Advertisement