Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Up/Seat Mii/Skoda Citigo for a new driver

Options
  • 04-02-2024 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm about halfway through my EDT but really struggling with the nerves. I've narrowed it down that it's not the driving that scares me, rather the risk of totalling my dad's NCD. If that were lost, it would pretty much be financially irrecoverable.

So I'm thinking of getting my own once I get through the EDT, the smaller the better, and have himself just as a named driver. A distant relative has a VW Up and always sings its praises, so I'd assume the Mii and Citigo would be the same. Most online seem to have 100k+ on the clock which I'd be weary of but I haven't a clue really. I'd probably have about 10k to spend incl insurance costs.

Just wondering if there are obvious plot holes or red flags to the above? I'm getting to a stage where not having a licence is starting to impair my career progression so kinda determined to make 2024 the year to get on the road.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They’re all the same car alright. There are plenty of cars to choose from outside of those 3 as well, don’t limit yourself.

They’re quite easy to drive, and don’t feel like a tin can either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,490 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

They are great cars and perfect for learning to drive in.

If you’ve a mate or relative who can sit in with you and give you some informal supervision your driving will come on leaps and bounds.

Unfortunately, driving is an expensive, no two ways about it but the freedom it gives you is immense.

Best of luck with the lessons.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Qrt

Thank you both, I think I’ll probably gravitate towards these models given their form factor and low running costs, but obviously I’ll keep my options open. I got one very very reasonable insurance quote but I’d be sure to prepare myself for at least double.

just wondering what would be considered high mileage for a 1.0L city car? None of my family is travel far so my expectations would be highly skewed!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,955 ✭✭✭User1998

Average mileage is around 10k to 15k km’s a year. You’d expect a 1L petrol to be on the lower side of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,490 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

If it has a service history and looks cared for, I wouldn’t worry about it being around 100k mark.

Check for a valid NCT is the first thing. Guessing this Up is over 10 years old so ideally you want as close to a year left on it as possible but at least over 6 months left.

This is an old thread on buying a used car but the advice is all still relevant today. Keep asking questions here though. We’re a helpful bunch (most of us anyway!)

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2056198864/buying-a-used-car-in-ireland-guide/p1

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement