Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home network setup advice

Options
  • 04-02-2024 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi all,

I've looked through a few of threads here and haven't found anything along these lines, so apologies if this has already been asked already!

I am just looking for some home networking advice.

Moved into the house over 3 years ago with virgin (non fibre) broadband, I've a Google nest mesh system which worked quite well.

However we have recently moved to Sky Fibre (500Mb) Internet and now notice that our WiFi is still only getting 240 ish Mb. If I connect directly to the sky router I'm getting 480-490 ish, however the range on it isn't sufficient so think I still need a mesh system.

But..... our house is wired with cat6 cables (not terminated) so I was also hoping to take advantages of this, we have, I think, 9 potential points across the house where all the cables go to our utility room. Our router isn't in the utility room, but there is a cable near the router going to the utility which we could use as a feed for a switcher etc.

So can anyone recommend a decent patch panel and switch that would work for cat 6 with 500Mb (not sure if they'd all work for this, think they would but this is the kind of stuff I'm not 100% on and don't want to be sending money on something that won't work or won't work to our full potential!)

Also, in terms of the mesh setup, can anyone recommend something thay would allow us to get the full speeds, but also, if possible it would be great if there was something that was compatible with an outdoor puck as we have outdoor cameras that struggle sometimes due to the signal strength coming from inside the house (it's a fairly new house, so thick walls and insulation doesn't lend itself well to letting WiFi signal out)

So to sum up, looking for recommendations on requirement for internal networking around patch and switches

And for a good mesh system that will allow us full speeds and potentially work outside also.

Thanks in advance

N

Comments

Advertisement