Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windy golf

Options
  • 04-02-2024 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭

Don't think I've ever played as much golf in strong winds as last 6 months. Was a member of Corballis links for 3 years and don't recall this amount.

I must say I enjoy the challenge it brings, trying not to slice drives, judging how much the wind will move the ball off course, how much extra or less club for the distance, will it affect a putt. Good fun and it brings an extra level of thought and skill to the game.

I don't think I'd want it too often. Maybe something we'll have to get used to though.

How's everyone else finding it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭S_D

Thought the same thing. Playing shots I’ve never had to think off. 40kph winds coming in, clubbing up 3 clubs and still short. 😂 it’s the high gap wedge shots that make me rage the most 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Punishes you hugely for any side spin / slices.

I think its a great way to improve play. Helps you to really focus on hitting the ball pure.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 soverybored1878

I’m a member of Roganstown which is a long course as it is. Played yesterday and with the wind and the dampish fairways and greens it was just a massive slog. Hate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭thewobbler

I’d suggest that golf is in its most enjoyable form of all with a 2 club breeze and firm ground underfoot.

But it’s only a fine line between that and when golf becomes a proper slog.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

Wife plays in Howth, she says come out here on a windy day to experience wind. 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Love windy days in Greenore. I keep the wedges in my bag and chip with a 7/8 iron. No run on the fairways much but the greens are more receptive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

I normally go for chip and run type shots over high wedges too but in front of the green is too soft still and the bounce of the ball unpredictable so forced to play all the wedges.

I'd been practicing punch shots with low irons and ball back in my stance, mainly to get out from under trees. I found these great into the wind now.

Played today in what can only be described as wet windy slog. Add to that fairway not been cut for a couple of weeks , it was just rough but a bit less swamp like. Hit so many thin shots. Not enjoyable

• Registered Users Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I'm into Links golf - and love golf in the wind. I almost know no other game. But there are pros and cons. If you play golf in the wind all the time - your game starts to alter to play in that form. Your playing a game along the ground - long and short , you need to control your ball flight and almost ignore the number on the club. Sometimes it makes no odds if it is a 6 iron - 5 iron - 4 iron .

A thing that has been bad for me - is, it has made my short game all about running the ball - it is a particular skill - but it is not exactly glamorous to be chipping and running - or using a putter from off the green.

I think when you play too much in the wind - you can really struggle to play target golf. parkland etc.

In an ideal world - you could change your game for different formats - and I try to do this a bit - but we are only amateurs , it is hard enough to play golf - never mind have different games for different conditions.

But there is nothing quite like aiming say 25 yards right of a green - holding ball out there and just in last part of flight it drifts into the pin - and it was all part of the plan. There is an element of unpredictability and creativity in it, that actually helps me - your for one shot are thinking of an idea - it isn't a swing idea it is the route of the ball - it can be very helpful to distract you from the bad swing ideas.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Incredibly windy when I played today. Some holes I was aiming 45 degrees left to have the wind bring the ball back onto the fairway.

A few holes with the wind behind me I’m fairly sure I hit the longest drives I’ve ever hit, but had nothing to measure it properly.

• Advertisement

A few weeks? My word. Where was this?

Sorry I forgot to quote your post. Seriously though, a fairway not cut in a few weeks? Really?

Blainroe. Was pretty overgrown , maybe not several weeks but at the rate grass grows this time of year , it must have been at least 1-2 weeks. you couldn’t distinguish the fairway and rough on many holes. Strange to say the least. But it was like a swamp in places so presume it was due to that. Made for tough golf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Depends on the temperature.

I’ve played in 2 club wind in the cold and hated it, played in maybe 3-4 club wind today at times but it was mild enough I enjoyed it.

in saying that if you hit a weak spinny shot your going to have a bad day.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭IrishOwl...

I was just coming onto post something similar.

Playing in windy conditions can be a fun experience, shaping shots and trying different approaches etc... But if it's cold, forget about it. There's absolutely no enjoyment playing golf with a 3 club wind blowing across you, and your body frozen up with the chill.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

Would highly recommend brandy and tia Maria.

3:1 ratio.

The wind can go howl all it wants.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Never forget the first time i played Enniscrone, specifically the par 3 17th. Over 3 days, i hit a PW, 8i and 4i, each in completely different directions. I love how much more you have to plan your shots in windy conditions.

I just don't want it every round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Happy playing in the wind when you have to adapt your game but I really can't stand it when its so strong that you can't keep your balance over the ball

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭bobster453

Windiest I ever played was the Gold Coast out by the lighthouse thingy last July.Had to play out about 100 yards over the sea to get the ball to land near the green.Brilliant craic😂

Hope its like that when Boards golf society are there this year..be some post mortems on here then..except for @FixdePitchmark who would probably bring in 50 points😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭coillcam

I'm loving the last couple of weeks as it's a completely different course and challenge than normal. Had to hit the driver onto a par 3 a couple of weeks back. That was a new experience for me. Managed to hold the green and make a par.

Tee it up higher for the driver and let it sail downwind. Lots of punches and 3/4 swings into the teeth. Managing to find the right window for height/spin playing into the wind and onto an elevated green is tough.

Pitches and partial wedges are massively impacted too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Sure don't you know Fix never wins a boards outing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭blue note

I love the windy days, but find them an absolute killer. There's the obvious difficulty of the wind affecting your ball. But the other difficulty of it affecting your mind!

I find myself playing into a wind, so I take a lower lofted club, grip it down, ball back in stance and proceed to top it / duff it / shank it. Or I remember playing one particularly windy day in Corballis where there was a huge wind half into me and half from the right. So once it caught hold of the ball, it would sling it from right to left. To compensate I aimed way right - so far right that it was no longer a right to left wind at all and instead my ball just came up a mile short and never changed direction. It's hard to convey how stupid a shot it looked.

But I love playing in a variety of conditions. I certainly count my blessings when I arrive and it's sun like the lads on TV play in, but those days where the same distance could be a 4i or a wedge are wonderful too.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭IrishOwl...

Ah you can't beat the dead straight flyer that defies the laws of physics and does not budge in the wind!

and people wonder why some people go insane trying to figure out this game...

Advertisement