Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin 530 Issue

Options
  • 04-02-2024 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Looking for a bit of advice - for the last week or so I cannot get a GPS signal regardless of where I am cycling. There is a repeated message coming up on the screen "updating the GPS firmware" then though it does say that the GPS firmware has been successfully updated. I have done a full factory reset and done a power down as per the Garmin forum but issue still remains. I have plugged it onto a laptop and updated the software through Garmin Express.

Anyone else have any experience of this, am I looking at replacing the unit - about 3 1/2 years old.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭cletus

I'd contact Garmin directly. They tend to be very good in I stances like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,954 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I sure you've already checked this but is it set to 'Indoor'?

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

Yeah I know, it was one of the first things I checked....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Sorry to be likely bearer of bad news, but I'd say it is kaput. Mine (it might have been a 520...) had a similar incident some years ago and when I opened it (damaging the waterproofing seal which is pretty pathetic foam thing stuck in place, and not a rubber one) there was a component on the circuit board (small rectangular piece at the top of the PCB) that had broken away and the legs on it were snapped so no chance of re-soldering it in place. I suspect it was an antenna given where it was located. YMMV - but in any case, Garmin offered me a discount on a new one, though it was still going to be more expensive than I could buy it from discounters so I went without for a while as I had Forerunner watch and used that instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Not sure if it will solve your issue, but it might be worth connecting to a PC via USB and updating via Garmin Express. I had a Garmin that was taking a while to connect to GPS a few years ago and apparently there is some file that needs to be updated when you connect to a PC

• Advertisement
Advertisement