Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car rental Turin.don't have credit card

Options
  • 04-02-2024 7:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭

Hi

I need to rent a car bit don't have a credit card .I have a debit card with enough money for the deposit and excess.

It says I need a credit card on the booking application

Can I use my wife's credit card .?she's not going to be with me .

Thanks

Ps I tried emailing the rental company but they didn't reply.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,268 ✭✭✭✭ted1

mor than likely. I travel with work and the deposit is often prepaid by our travel agent on their card

Post edited by ted1 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Check rental company's T&Cs, carefully.

They won't let you use your wife's credit card - the card has to match the driver's name.

Debit card should be ok, but pre-paid cards (Revolut) more than likely won't be.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,812 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

You used to be able to get a one-time visa card for situations like this - is that still a thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭steinbock123

As far as I know they won’t accept a debit card, it must be a credit card in the drivers name. This is in case you rack up a load of parking/ driving fines that won’t come in to them until after your rental has concluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,268 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Debit cards won’t be ok as they can’t preauthorise. And put a hold on them.

In my experience, the card does not have to match the drivers name

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

I was in Portugal last year, and rented three cars over two weeks. I was actually able to use Revolut but the deposit from that particular firm was approx €1,200 for each car. The card HAD to be in my name.

I was in Spain last year, had booked a car with Enterprise. They wouldn't accept my deposit via Debit Card, and wouldn't accept my OH's Credit Card as she wasn't the named driver. They also wouldn't offer a refund.

We went next door to Avis, that they were happy to take my Revolut Card as a deposit, again, it had to me the card of the named driver.

So to my main point - OP needs to contact the renting company's T&CS because experiences differ. And ideally before 48 hours prior to pick-up if they end up needing to cancel.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

this does seem to be the case, its very company specific, debit and revolut accepted in iceland....

Advertisement