Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with swapping ceiling rose for new light fitting

Options
  • 03-02-2024 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

I've got a new light fitting that I want to replace but having looked at the ceiling rose, it doesn't look like any configuration I've seen. As far as I can make our there's two earths, two neutrals and one live coming in. Both neutrals coming in go to the same terminal. There's no connections going to the loop terminals.

Can someone offer some guidance as to how to connect up my new light fitting?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,483 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Nice nick on the switched live as well :)

It looks like the neutrals are looped through and there's no common, just a switched live (the common will be at the switch).

Easiest is to grab a few WAGO, connect the 2*neutral (3-way) 2*earth (3-way) and 1*live (2-way( into these and then have a small length of 1.5mm wire coming from the wago to the light, or disconnect the block in the light and connect directly to the Wago (just check the light wires get a good grip in the WAGO).

You can do the same with a connector block as well, just a bit more awkward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭gnolan

Thanks @astrofool , I'll get myself some Wagos.

A couple of questions, can I just use the existing pendant light cable to connect up the new light fitting to the Wagos? And do you know why someone would have chosen to connect the neutrals to the same terminal on the rose rather than different ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Wago's are great for this except I'd still use a cable-tie to bunch the wires together first and that will stop the solid-core from flexing in the Wago fitting. Just please ensure that the wiring that comes down from the Wago's to the new light fitting is double-insulated right out to the screw-connector block and isn't just single-insulated wires. Use the stranded wire from the pendant, better than solid core as those cheap screw connectors in the new light are shocking-bad. Be fine then.

And do you know why someone would have chosen to connect the neutrals to the same terminal on the rose rather than different ones?

You'd have to have been in that person's head on the day to know that. 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 16,483 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Concur with 10-10-20, especially on the cheap connectors, have had a few break/crack on me when tightening down the connection (usually when it's solid core).

To get in the head of the two wires to 1 terminal, it could have been twisted together when the wiring was being done and then just easier to pop into the single terminal when doing the rose vs. untwisting and adding a small loop. Twisting multiple wires together (and dipping in solder) looks great on install but is a pain to deal with when troubleshooting or replacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭gnolan

Thanks for your help @astrofool and @1huge1@10-10-20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭beachhead

Job done

Advertisement