Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin 5 Edenmore

Options
  • 03-02-2024 2:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭

Hi All,

Hoping someone can share their opinion/experiences they've had with Edenmore and Dublin 5 in general from living there or knowing those that lived there.

Looking at buying a place in Edenmore, I'm aware the area had a bad rep years ago but from my experience of the area it seems to have improved a lot but this could be incorrect and maybe it is still bad. Opinions would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭herbalplants

I am not familiar with all the roads in Edenmore, all I can say I am sure there are pockets where may be rough but there are plenty of good people living there and area has improved in recent years. I am open for correction though.

Dublin 5 as a general area is excellent, close to everything, including city centre and the coast.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭whomadewho

I don't live far from Edenmore, it was rough when I was growing up but has matured and it is actually a grand place these days. Close to Raheny dart Station without Raheny properly prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭KLF

Also grew up close to it. It was fairly lively back in the 80s and 90s even but at this stage the area is over 50 years old. A lot of stuff has come and gone.

Id recommend closer to the Raheny end of the Springdale road and avoid closer to the Edenmore shopping center although this is probably reflected in the prices. I’d also prefer to be on one of the roads rather than the smaller cul-de-sacs. I find it’s a bit more intense in some of those. One exception would be Edenmore crescent which is a nice layout and position. But overall it’s a grand place these days. The age and condition of the houses would be a concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,250 ✭✭✭✭noodler

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭wench

They would be.

Donaghmede celebrated 50 years last year. That was the northern edge of D5 when it was built, and Edenmore would have been there before it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Figel Narage

Thanks for the info, looking to buy on the edenmore drive, gardens, Grove area, very close to raheny dart station but also close to edenmore shopping centre, houses are from the 80's to my knowledge

From my admittedly brief visits, it seems alright but I'm very aware of the rep it has and one or two people (albeit in the minority) have advised against it so my mind is torn. Funny thing is somewhere like artane and kilbarrick would have had a rep to my knowledge back in the day are, in most cases, quite expensive to buy now. With edenmores proximity to raheny I imagine it will also see a surge in prices

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

I wouldn't put too much faith in old reputations about anywhere around Dublin 5.

St Anne's estate (All Saints, Maryville, Bettystown Road etc) was a corporation estate that had a dodgy reputation in the 70's and into the 80's. There's 3 bedrooms places there now going for 600+ with lots of work needing to be done. Plenty of them with an extension or with 4 bedrooms starting to hit 700+.

You'd want to drive around there a few times and get a feel for the area, but anywhere close to Raheny village, the Dart, H bus routes, that close to the park and coast is in my opinion only going to go one way.

Thanks for the info, I was made aware that Mayfield was former corporation (could be wrong on that) and raheny was rougher than it is these days back in the day.

When you put it like you did in your mail it makes total sense to see it as an investment in your property with the likelihood of a huge increase being likely (some houses in edenmore sold for 400k last year).

I'm aware there are one or two families in the edenmore drive, gardens and Grove who would attract trouble and gardai attention so although it looks like a good investment to buy a house in edenmore, there's always a fear of the neighbours who are trouble in my eyes.

Although in saying that, I lived in an estate growing up that wouldn't have had a bad rep but eventually a few bad families moved in and caused some issues who are gone now so you can never know what the future holds.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Technically Edenmore is part of Raheny. It certainly had a bad reputation before but is quieter now. The thing is it is still pretty rough and neglected by many that still live there. The roads and many houses are not very well kept. Lots of the old corporation houses with original features in a worn state. Lots of businesses and trades people about so if stuff falls off their vehicles it is just left on the road. Lots of large vans and vehicles parked about about

I have friends and family that live there and they are lovely people but the area is going to take another few decades before it is truly gentrified

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info.

Yeah I can see what you mean, it has a rough feel to it and the atmosphere is a bit bleak when visiting the area, probably the biggest thing putting me off

Advertisement