Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing GP Maternity Care Scheme

Options
  • 02-02-2024 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I am pregnant and had my first appointment with my old GP who registered me for the maternity care scheme. I've not had the best experience with them and luckily have been accepted as a patient with a new GP. I let them know that I'm pregnant and my old GP registered but they weren't sure how that worked as I wasn't registered on the scheme with their practice and advised to call the HSE. I've been passed from pillar to post on the phone trying to get an answer but no one seems to know how I can be transferred to have my appointments covered with my new GP. I'm hoping someone else has been through this process and can tell me what I or my new GP need to do? Any advice would be much appreciated.

I've got a while until I'm back at the GP as have my scan in a month's time but really don't want to be forced back to my old GP.

Thanks in advance for any advice you have 😊

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭GAAcailin

HI, It might be easier to stick it out with the old GP; the reality is the old GP practice will have been paid the capitation fee for your pregnancy (its a one off payment); However it must happen in reality that people move house / locations and would need to change their family GP. As your pregnancy progresses and towards the end you will have more of your appointments in the hospital so the GP becomes less relevant.

I had a similar enough situation in that I wanted to change to a GP closer to my house after the baby was born, certainly for the child but wasn't as bothered for myself. The original GP was based in town and parking etc a nightmare so didn't want to be bringing in the baby for appointments. I had started the vaccination program with the old GP and was using the new GP for other issues (baby had a lot of problems originally, failure to thrive, severe allergies etc); this was before the free GP scheme for U6/U8. Issues became intertwined and ended up changing to the local GP for the remainder of the vaccines and all else going forward. The public health nurse helped me with the administration, but there was a bit to sort out.

You should also double check that the new GP will accept the baby as a patient under the free GP scheme; a practice near my work (I sometimes go if I have an issue and in the office) don't accept children in the free GP scheme; they will cover the mother during pregnancy under the mother and baby scheme but haven't signed up to the children free GP scheme.

Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 nmcl87

Thanks got your advice, it's really tough to find any info on it! However I am really keen to change rather than to stick it out. My old GP charged me for my appointment despite supposedly registering me for the scheme which is incorrect. To be honest they gave me no information so left feeling pretty confused and not assured.

I had an appointment with my new GP last week as had some issues and they were great. As it was an emergency, they agreed not to charge me whilst we figure out the maternity scheme registration. From speaking to others, my new GP can register me again for the scheme so hopefully it is that straightforward. My old GP doesn't take infants do would have had to have registered the baby with new GP anyway so better to get it sorted sooner rather than later!

Thanks again for your help 😊

Advertisement