Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Received a summons today for speeding 4 years ago

Options
  • 02-02-2024 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭

Is there a time limitation? 4 years seem excessive? 91 in an 80 ffs.

Also 4 years ago the fines were smaller, anyone know of these legal things?

Or been through it :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

Pretty sure there is a statute of limitation of 6 months for sone road traffic offences. Solicitors advise to confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Think it's 6 mths from the detection - open to correction though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,528 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

My understand (as explaining to me when i got something simular) is six months from detection, and six months to issue, so basically a year from the event.

But the "clock" does not run when one is outside the jurisdiction of the court, so it one was speeding, then left the country for a decade, they could still "get you"...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Cheers guys, I'm thinking 2 years of Covid might have something to do with it, but still have 2 years (sorta 2020 was the date.

Fines were 80 I think, not 160 so think I'll just ignore it

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Don’t ignore it. You have to address it in some way.

• Advertisement

Could call the guard I supppose, think her name is on it. I'll do that

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

Covid would definitely have been a factor in the delay but wouldn't explain 4 years. My guess is that the summons was reissued by the guard if the original was not served on you before the court date on the original summons.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Was it a radar detection ie. you had no interaction with AGS at the time ?

I'm thinking possibly the date is a misprint and the offence was detected more recently.

Anyway as said before don't ignore it.

It was a gun, could see it in the photo, but yeah last time I was out thhat direction was in 2020.

I'll see if they'll take a call, no way am I going out to Navan courthouse :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Think I read on Motors that the summons must be issued to the Garda within 6 months. Afaik there is no stated period in which it must be served. 3½ years is not a reasonable period at the same time.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

I spoke to to a RPU member earlier for you . His answer. . . . . . . "You have six months from the date of the traffic offence to prosecute". He also said you should definitely query it.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Melted

Is it a scam?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 xPrePF7z4jLy7M

Same problem here, offence in 2022, summons dated 04/12/2023, arrived today!

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058335087/summons-for-traffic-offence-in-2022

• Registered Users Posts: 28,393 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The FCPN would have been issued before the summons, and only if the FCPN isn't paid would it go to a Courts. If you ring the Garda fines office, they should be able to tell you about the date the FCPN was issued.

Is that relevant? Isn't the limitation from the date of the offence to the issuing of the summons?

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭seamusk84

Keep us updated, interesting case. Very unusual.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

The summons was most likely applied for within 6 months by the Gardaí but only issued in recent weeks by the Courts. There is still a backlog in processing summonses by the Courts due to Covid. Worth double checking all the same.

A Judge might just strike it out because the offence happened four years ago, or they might not. Depends on the Judge and their prevailing mood on the day ...

My summons was applied for within 6 months, but again, is that relevant? It wasn't issued until December.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Whatever happened to "justice delayed is justice denied" ?

Delaying for years on a trivial matter seriously disadvantages the defence (if you'd stabbed someone, you'd remember it, if you were accused of a minor motoring offence you probably wouldn't remember any of the circumstances)

Life ain't always empty.

So, I actually had some business to attend to in Navan this morning so I turned up at the court. There seemed to be quite a few others with offences going back to 2020. The first girl came out smiling and said something along the lines of thank God for that. I asked the Guard manning the door before the court opened saying is it not unusual to be summoned 3 and hald years after the offence and as @Sierra Oscar said, once they get it in within 6 months it matters not a jot as to when you get the summons, as in effect its out of their hands, they've held up their side of it.

The guard on the door was given a list of names that were to be called before the court and my name wasn't on it, so I asked does that mean its over? He said probably unless I get issued with a new summons!! FFS There wasn't even anywhere I could go to say I'd turned up, it was farcicle tbh.

11kmp over 80 isn't exactly the crime of the century, so I'm going to say its been put to bed, but don't know for sure.

Jeez

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭GavPJ

Advertisement