Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you clean your grinder?

Options
  • 02-02-2024 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭

I got a notion to clean my Rancillio Rocky yesterday as it occurred to me that in the 5 years I have it, I've never actually cleaned it.

So, I took off the hopper and removed the top burr and cleaned everything. The amount of coffee grinds, gunk, resin and crap in there was shocking.

Next job is a simple mod to make it stepless - I just need a couple of bits.

So, do people clean their grinders and if so, how often?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭ArrBee

Never cleaned mine in about 7yrs. Maybe I should.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Kurooi

Never occurred to me... Grinder is pushing 3 years now...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I think you should 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Kurooi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭2011abc

Manual / hand grinder I do every 1-4 weeks .Could be placebo effect but doing that and /or new Brita kettle water filter to me makes noticeble difference to pourover quality

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭alec76

I do clean my grinders and also service my car regularly, I know some people just don’t bother:)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Absolutely! Every 4-5 months. My grinder is around 15 years old and used to sit in a coffee shop, grinding thousands of doses a day. Still works like new. Usually try to get through the grinder, espresso machine and roaster in the same weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Yes, about once a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

yeah, every few months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

yeah about twice a year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭3d4life

Not before I came across this thread 😌

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Prompted me also…….could be 3-4 years. Gave it the vacuum cleaner etc etc. A lot of build up blockage in shoot ……she’s suckin’ diesel now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 9jamie

I grind about 1-2 shots a day, few times a week, Eureka Mignon MCI which is set up as no retention, inclined with a bellows. I clean it out maybe twice a year - I find because of the lack of retention with my setup, the only part that needs cleaning is underneath the burr housing. Fortunately, I don't find 'cooked coffee', but I have seen this pretty bad on other grinders and it's absolutely necessary to clean grinders that accumulate and bake coffee, particularly those using hoppers.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cbreeze

I've a little Krups one which I clean every time I use it. It's easy because the blade is accessible

Advertisement