Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Gaol, co Cork

Options
  • 02-02-2024 5:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I am interested in records of a military prisoner who was committed to the county gaol at Galway county Cork on 5th of February 1844 to 40 days hard labour for being drunk while on guard duty at Cork barracks, county Cork. Where might I find his prison record? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

Strange post content/narrative.

I’m not a prisons expert but I’ve never heard of a Galway Gaol in Co. Cork. Where did you get those details/ name?

Drunkenness while on guard duty is a serious military, not civilian, offence. Usually it would have been dealt with by the soldier’s officer, who had power of jurisdiction in such cases. Punishment was military, not civilian, so he would be held in a military prison (not called a gaol) and certainly not in the civilian 'county goa'. The army barracks in Cork had its own ‘prison’, located outside the main barracks and was called the ‘Detention Barracks’, never a ‘gaol’ AFAIK.

Drunkeness is a petty offence, there will be no details other than on his army record sheet..

Advertisement