Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Anyone able to tell me roughly what it would cost to run a hybrid or EV based on the information pro

Options
  • 02-02-2024 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭

Just posted this to try to get some idea of costs, but would anyone be able to let me know how much it would likely cost me to run an EV or Hybrid based on the following figures please?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,673 ✭✭✭✭josip

1072km @ 17kWh/100km = 182 kWH at let's say a night rate of 20c/kWH (although you could pay more or less per kWH) = €36.48

Assuming you have home charging and an EV

With a more efficient EV and an EV night boost Electricity plan, you could halve that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Depends on how much you pay for electricity and how efficient the car is.

For example mine uses 20 kW to drive 100km. And a kw costs me 30 cent with flogas. So 20x0.30 is about €6 per 100km.

So maybe around €60 for the 1000km.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

I’m using 14kwh/100km and charging on EV night rate at 8.5c.

14x10.725 = 150.15 x 8.5c = €12.76

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Thanks lads. Some savings.

are they hybrid or electric cars? Also, what are ye driving? Need something as big as the current one

• Registered Users Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭Alkers

If you make lots of short trips, particularly during cold weather - the kWh per 100km will shoot up due to using a lot of electricity for cabin heat.

But it will be cheaper than petrol for sure, and by a factor if you have an EV night rate plan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I have 2 EVs, 1 averages about 17kwh per 100kms over its life so far, the other uses 26kwh for same distance. Averages since new, both cars 2022.

I charge in work for free, I know I'm very lucky here, but if I was to charge at home at 30c per kWh,

the Cupra Born (efficient EV) would cost 170 x 30c which is 51 euro.

The Audi Etron (very inefficient EV) would cost 260 x 30c which is 78 euro.

If I was charging at home I would definitely go on night rate which would probably cut those costs in half, so 25 euro for the cupra and 40 euro for the Audi.

For comparison ,my Audi A6 diesel I sold would use 70 litres for 1000kms which at today's prices would be 119 euro for same distance and I have no option for night rate diesel. This was up close to 150 euro at one stage when diesel was over 2 euro a litre.

A very efficient ICE car doing 5 litres per 100kms would cost 85 euro today.

So it's possible to run almost the most inefficient 400bhp EV for sale today like an Etron for 33% of the cost of a 2 litre diesel. Or a more efficient EV could be run for about 20% of the cost by getting a good suitable tariff

For what it's worth, if I charged solely on public network at let's say a rare of 60c per kWh, the cupra would cost 102 euro and the Etron would cost 156 euro which would be dearer than a 2 litre diesel.

Loads of numbers there, but depending on the car you buy and when and where you charge it, the EV would cost anywhere between 25 and 156 euro to run. Quite the variation.

And that's before the solar PV lads give their very low figures which I know nothing about so I'll leave that to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭teediddlyeye

Here's my data for January. Based on energias smart drive tariff at 8c per unit for 2am-6am.

I also have solar PV but don't have a smart charger so wouldn't bother charging during the day. But if using that also it'd be probably be too cheap to calculate. Fractions of a cent per km. As good as free!

"I never thought I was normal, never tried to be normal."- Charlie Manson

Advertisement