Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

replacement commuter bike

Options
  • 01-02-2024 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭

I currently cycle an Orbea hybrid to and from work (7.5km flat route from dundrum - city centre). Bike has lasted from 2017 until now, but at this point enough parts need replacing that it is probably better to just replace the bike. Current one needs new crankset, chainrings, chain, cassette, headset bearings, hydraullic brake cables, pads, and tbh the rest of it is probably pretty worn too.

So rather than spend more than the bike would be worth after repairs in repairing it, I will probably replace. Cycle to work scheme was used on another bike two years ago so I won't be able to use that. I have a nice road bike which is in good condition, but which is too expensive (and far too precious besides!) to use for commute. I just want a replacement hybrid commuter. But I can probably spend up to €1k or so on it - can doesn't mean that is the target and I would happily spend less, I am looking for something functional not something to make people go "ooh nice bike".

Anyone like to vicariously scratch their N+1 itch and suggest a commuter for me?

Edit:

https://www.canyon.com/en-ie/hybrid-bikes/city-bikes/commuter/commuter-6/2797.html?dwvar_2797_pv_rahmenfarbe=BK&dwvar_2797_pv_rahmengroesse=M

Actually that might be exactly what I want. bit heavy but I'm not racing, and never tried a belt drive bike before.

Post edited by Fian on

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I got a genesis flyer, new its 800, I got it second hand but it has been great.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Antipathetic

What is your maximum budget for a bike replacement?

Would you be open to the idea of a steel touring bike with friction shifters?

A steel frame will last forever and many of the bikes in this category are designed with reliable components like friction shifters and mechanical disc brakes which would be perfect for someone who uses the bike a lot and especially those who rely on it commute. The downside, unfortunately, is they are rather heavy. However, if you have a flat-ish commute, then you shouldn't be that much slower than a lighter bike and if you do have a few hills in your way. Touring bikes have good gearing for going uphills also some come with dynamo hubs and mudguards.

Don't let the terrorists in Israel win. Please donate to UNRWA now!

https://donate.unrwa.org/-landing-page/en_EN

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Don Juan II

I got this on sale 12 months ago for 945EUR

I fitted rack and mudguards myself. I also trimmed back the handle bars, they were 3cm too wide for me.

Honestly the best commuter I've owned.

My previous commuter was also an Alfine 8 speed gearbox but was a normal chain (not belt). Had it for 6 years, used every day in all conditions. Never skipped a beat.

I swapped the grips on my old commuter as I preferred them to the grips on the boardman.

The bike it literally zero maintenance which is what you need from a commuter that's going to be used in all conditions every single day.

Even at 1050EUR it's a bargain. Can't recommend highly enough

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Don Juan II

Actually, I just checked on Halfords and they have an even better sale than when I bought that bike 12 months ago. There's 150eur off at the checkout!

900eur for that bike is an incredible bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

For simplicity is you want to go new then a belt drive hub gear with full mudguards, rack and lighting is the way to go.

Fit out a fixed gear bike with similar would be my preference. Chain maintenance with a front flap on a fixed gear will be cheap and minimal.

If you can do the work yourself I'd repair the old one..any old yoke is fine for 7.5km on the flat

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Just reread your OP. Are they hydraulic or cable brakes, you call them both. Realistically, all you need are the pads, headset probably is fine with a clean and a grease but even a new one isn't much, a new chainring, chain and a single cog. All in you aren't looking at much, do you have photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭andyd12

+1 on the belt drive paired with shimano alfine 8 hub. I have put 4-5k kms on a commuter bike with this setup and never misses a beat. Hub gearing is so handy when stop and leave it in a low gear by mistake, you can shift to the correct gear unlike a gear/cassette.

My bike has the same brakes as the Boardman, zero issues with them also.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Antipathetic

I would also recommend considering getting a dynamo hub and lights if possible. They are handy to have so you don't have to worry about more devices to charge and you don't have the worry about lights running out on your commute, which could pose a major safety hazard. Also, if I'm not mistaken. Most dynamo lights comply with the German standard so you get a better beam of light which helps you see better. You also have the option if you want of installing a USB charger to the dynamo to charge electronics when not using the lights.

Perhaps if it is in your budget. Something like the Riverside touring 920 from Decathlon might suit you. It's a drop bar gravel bike so comes with wide tyres and a dynamo with lights. Another option to consider would be the Riverside 520, which is a flat bar bike mainly designed for touring. It has a rear rack and like the 920 has a dynamo setup.

Almost forgot to mention that if you do want a belt drive bike. Then, in terms of value, you probably can't beat the Cube travel range of bikes do be aware though, at least from what I have read the gearing may not be great for going up steep hills, especially when you compare it to the bikes I have mentioned above.

Don't let the terrorists in Israel win. Please donate to UNRWA now!

https://donate.unrwa.org/-landing-page/en_EN

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Hub and belt is how all my future commuters will be having had them on a cargo bike for the past year.

That Boardman from Halfords looks great tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭Fian

I meant the tubes travelling from lever to brakes for my hydraullic brakes, I guess cable is the wrong word. But bike shop suggested there was damage to the tube, which makes sense since i have had to bleed/top up the fluid regularly on the back brakes.

the crankset bearings were also screwed, which were expensive. I was looking at €450 for parts, + labour. in fairness to bike shop they were dissuading me from fixing it on basis it would cost a deal more than the bike was worth. The bearings in teh crank were definitely grinding when in use. I went to UCD bike shop and found the mechanic there very helpful. First time i have gone there, usually used harry's bikes but it seems to have closed down again. Anyway i had the bike 8 years and until covid was using it 5 days a week to commute bar 2/3 days a year if it was icy/dangerously windy so it owed me nothing. Now work from home 2/3 days each week, so this one will get less use I guess. I probably didn't maintain it as well as I should have, and it was out in the weather frequently, I have a shed at home but uncovered parking in work and i also have two labs so would not risk crossing the garden in the dark for the sake of putting the bike into a shed in the evening. too many potential landmines from the dogs!

Thanks all for suggestions in this thread. Boardman was tempting but I decided to go for a canyon commuter 5. 1050 (1118 with shipping). I just trust canyon more than halfords tbh.

I am mildly disappointed not to have hub dynamo, but I will add mudguards from old bike and so would have ended up paying almost €500 extra just for the step up to hub dynamo. In any case canyon were not flexible about a part payment and an invoice for the €1250 limit on cycle to work scheme, so it was easier to go for one that comes in under the limit.

https://www.canyon.com/en-ie/hybrid-bikes/city-bikes/commuter/commuter-5-mid-step/2923.html?dwvar_2923_pv_rahmenfarbe=BK

Looking forward to trying a belt drive bike. One slight concern is how difficult it may be to change a tube if I get a rear wheel puncture on the commute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Looking forward to trying a belt drive bike. One slight concern is how difficult it may be to change a tube if I get a rear wheel puncture on the commute.

Buy Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres; you won't get punctures.

I've a kind of similar drive train as that Canyon. Mine is an Shimano Alfine 8 hub, a gates 22 tooth rear sprocket, and I upgraded the front sprocket from 46T to 55T because the highest gearing was just spinning out on me because it wasn't enough.

Anyway, for my frame the rear wheel/axel is one of those that you can adjust how far the back wheel is from the the front wheel (sliding dropouts), and you have to tension the belt by adjusting how far back the wheel is. There's a Gates phone app for this: you hold the phone mic to the belt, and pluck the belt like a guitar string, and the app measures the frequency of the sound produced to determine if the belt tension is correct. Mad stuff. But that Canyon doesn't seem to have sliding dropouts, so it might be more straight forward to remove the wheel on that.

Post edited by fatbhoy on

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭andyd12

Did you need to change the belt when you changed the sprocket?

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Yeah. I had to get a longer belt to match the 55Ter. Belts are like €100+, but I sold the one I took off on Adverts.

Advertisement