Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aggressive Neighbours Cat Attacking Our Cat - What If Anything Can I Do?

Options
  • 01-02-2024 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

We have a neutered female cat- about 10 months old. We took her in as a rescue and she's recovered, we hope to foster her. She was clearly an outside cat prior as she was nuts to go outside. We've been letting her out and she's been enjoying the back garden in particular. It's very cat friendly and typically over the years we'd have a lot of furry friends. Our next door neighbour has two cats who frequently visit and one of them has been establishing himself as the boss amongst all of the local cats. This is fine I guess, it's what they do. However he's quite an aggressive fellow and he's twice swiped our lady in the past week and she's got the marks to show for it.

Is there anything that can be done in a situation like this or is it simply a case of that's what they do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Redneck Avenger

That's nature really.

Nothing can be said nor done in this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,104 ✭✭✭blackbox

Neighbours cat defending what it perceives as it's territory. Your borders are not their borders.

They'll have to resolve it themselves. Fights between cats are non fatal. A few scrapes and one will back off. They'll heal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Grand. I thought as much but just said I'd ask. Thanks for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

They'll work it out between themselves! A few swipes is just "cat manners".

My own two fight regularly, and then curl up next to each other to sleep!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It's still a good idea to keep an eye on her. If things get nasty, which they can, they can get bites on the neck or their back legs which can become infected and result in abscesses forming. It happened a few times with one of our female cats when she was attacked by a neighbouring tom cat.

• Advertisement
Advertisement