Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wildflower meadow to disappear at Ballyloughane.Fencing to be erected.

Options
  • 31-01-2024 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭

There is a lovely wildflower meadow just after the bridge at Ballyloughane(right hand side) which I am sure many people have enjoyed over the years, I see that there are now plans to remove it and fence off area/restrict access to facilitate relocation of Community Employment scheme garden/depot from the brothers of charity site at Woodlands.The proposal is for a six foot fence to enclose area, this would restrict public access through meadow and would restrict views as you walk to Ballyloughane beach.You can currenty walk through meadow via path to beach.

This is the second scheme involving fencing in the area, late last year the common area at the headland(left side) was fenced off to allow cattle to graze.

The Ballyloughane area has been sadly neglected over the years but it is a vital amenity area for the east side, recent proposals for improvement take an age to complete despite the efforts of locals.The latest proposals for development/fencing will damage the area and curtail public enjoyment of the amenity IMO.I would urge local rsidents and anybody who frequents Ballyloughane to urge their local reps to oppose the development.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Cllr. Terry Flaherty is a big advocate of that area. Maybe contact her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

There has been no public rep utterings on the project as of yet.

The area is zoned recreational/ amenity , so I would assume it would need planning permission and an EIS.An eyesore 6ft fence will destroy the area and remove a public amenity area and established wildflower area.If they fence all the area to the car park entrance you are looking at fence of 100m long on just one side.

The idea is being floated by the Renmore Parish Development assoc.There has been no consultation other than a leaflet drop locally, which provided little detail other that which type of fence they would use, no details on size of development.

Post edited by kabakuyu on

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Nua

I saw a tweet from Galway City Council that they are introducing cows to Ballyloughnane?!? Not sure it that is what fencing could be for . . . at least there is a public meeting planned

• Registered Users Posts: 3,321 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

So, the city council are buying office blocks and now cows.

I hope it gets more use out of the cows than it does the buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,394 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Mentioned on Radio1 today. Daisy said she loves her new home, the sea air, and cosmopolitan lifestyle 😃

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭what_traffic

That looks like the Cosmopolitan Pat McGrath's microphone.

Advertisement