Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Stolen Boot Release Sensor? VW Passat.

Options
  • 31-01-2024 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hi All,

Looking for a little advice; i have a 2018 passat and the "easy open" hands free boot opener stopped working suddenly.

I taught it might have been a dirty sensor under the bumper but when i went to check it i spotted a hole cut in the underside.

See photo (Excuse the dirt)

Is anyone able to confirm if there should have been a sensor there? I Think that it may have been stolen but i can't find any photos online for reference.

Anyone able to help?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

.%

Post edited by colm_mcm on

the more I look at, the more I think the sensor is off to the side, and the hole in your bumper is from a removed towbar install.

Reckon that’s what it is

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Quiksilver

Thanks Colm, I was pretty sure that there wasn't a hole there before, but ya, what you say does make sense. I was hoping someone might the same sensor on their car and could confirm if there should be a sensor there. I had spotted those drawings you posted, it looks like item 3 is a cover to access a sensor or controller? If so i couldn't see that on my car, which is why i taught in was in the center. My girlfriends dad is a retired cop and mentioned that apparently access through the bumper (Whats happening with Land Rover i think?) and could have been an attempt to get into the car? So ya, not 100% sure of anything at the moment 🤷‍♂️ . I know the same time i noticed the sensor not working i started to get an exhaust smell in the car as well at times, which i taught at the time might have been an exhaust leak at the engine bay, but when i saw the hole in the bumper that maybe some fumes were getting in through there into the boot (the car is an estate so open to the car). Could be a coincidence both happening at the same time.

I’d be 100% certain that this wasn’t an attempt to steal your car.

Also, VW wouldn’t have put the sensor in the same place a towbar was designed to go

• Advertisement
Advertisement