Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

paediatrician for new born in Cork

Options
  • 31-01-2024 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭

Have a 6 week old that does not sleep. Since moving to Neocate last week they has improved but still barely sleeping. Baby is consistently tensed up like they have trapped wind or is constipated.

Our GP is useless. GP was not able to read a percentile chart and told us our child weight was in the 90 percentile but was in fact in the 9th percentile from 50 percentile at birth. My wife had to show him how to read the chart.

Any recommendations for pediatricians for new borns in Cork would be appreciated.

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Try your district/public nurse it might be quicker.

At 6 weeks you are technically still under the care of the maternity hospital (just) but I'd ring them first before traipsing in.

How much sleep are you expecting? My eldest would only sleep 15 mins at a time. Then would only sleep in our bed (far from ideal but we took all the possible measures for co sleeping) they were 3 by the time they actually slept on their own.

Alot of people will say how their child slept right through the night from the time they were born....meh I call BS!

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭grimeire

20 mins max at a time its not the sleeping we are mainly concerned with it seems the child is in constant pain as they are always tensed up. Even when the child is asleep its impossible to sleep yourself as they are consistently moaning in their sleep. Both grandparents say there is something definitely wrong as even when asleep the child never seems to go into a deep sleep and can wake at any second. One of the grandmothers said they would not be willing to take the child by herself anymore. Considering at times she minds her other two grandkids at the same time and they are only a few months older says it all.

There was two babies in the family born within weeks of our child and to compare them its like chalk and cheese. The other babies seem happy and sleep ours seems to be in constant pain and never sleeps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Babies are chalk and cheese though.

I will say my eldest vomited rings around himself...brought to dr at 6 weeks old too, she gave me a referral to hospital with what she considered the problem.

I went to the hospital was dismissed as a first time neurotic mother, told my GP was covering her arse and basically a drama queen.

Roll on another two weeks and back in hospital via ambulance this time with an unconscious child.....who had lost a quarter of their body weight ....got diagnosed with pyloric stenosis, which is what my GP had said....there was high fives all round the diagnostic team as it was a "textbook case" they saw my face was like thunder, mistook my upset as nerves....until I said I was here 2 weeks ago with a letter from my GP stating pyloric stenosis you refused to check it, patted me on the head and sent us home....well the atmosphere changed fairly sharply!

So moral of the story, you know your child, if you think they are unwell bring them back to the hospital , pyloric stenosis is more common in first born males for some reason. They child may have colic or a slight gastro infection.

It's hard especially when they are so tiny. Go with your gut.

(Now at 6 weeks the maternity hospital sent me to a main hospital as the child was "too old" for them....but that's Dublin where there's a few dedicated children's hospitals, cork is abit different. )

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭anndub

it took a few weeks for us to see full improvement after removal of dairy with our cmpa baby.

We had a video consultation with Dr Khan a paediatrician in Limerick/Kerry with a special interest in cmpa, infant irritable bowel and reflux. He was really good and really validated our experience.

It sounds like you may need something for silent reflux too but he can advise better. We ultimately added in Omeprazole at the 5 months mark and that helped further with discomfort

Advertisement