Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New role opportunity in another department but having doubts?

Options
  • 31-01-2024 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi, a position has come up in another department at work that I was interested in. I informed my manager of the interest in it and my manager preferred if I stayed but supported me, and an interview was set up a few days ago. To be honest the interview went terribly, I prepared for a number of days but because I was an internal employee they did not ask the questions I was expecting and preparing for and I feel I didn't not give them the answers they were looking for. I really didn't get good vibes either, I could see in their faces and at the end of the interview they said joking it was the first time they interviewed that they talked more than the interviewee. I am not good at talking about myself and I think this didn't help either. After a few days of thinking this over, I think maybe it wasn't the role I was expecting but if I stay in my current department will things be different now? I was happy within my department but I wanted a change and try different things, I was offered DM role a few months ago but turned it down. What should I do? Is it unheard of for an employee to stay where they are and change their mind or have doubts? or if I do get the role should I take it anyway? Please help, thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭thefa

I think maybe it wasn't the role I was expecting but if I stay in my current department will things be different now?

It is hard to know exactly but you already mention how your boss would prefer you to stay and they offered you the DM (Department Manager??) role quite recently so obviously value you. Staying on makes their life easier in the short run at least. It is fine to change your mind about an alternative role based on new info but it’s not something to be repeating often.

I think it might be worth having a chat with your manager on what more is possible to get from your current role/department (things that drove you to go for the other role). Like if you’ve rejected a promotion and then applying for a role outside the department, there might be an impression that you just want out.

I would try to not worry about the interview just gone. What’s done is done and it didn’t sound like you got a good feel off your interviewers which I guess included a potential manager.

Advertisement