Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Trailer coupling will not latch down onto tow bar

Options
  • 31-01-2024 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭

Bought a boat recently which came with it's own trailer. My car has a 50mm tow bar and the trailer coupling says it is 50mm also.

The coupling sits down onto the tow bar but the handle does not click down fully into place.

It is as if the tow ball is slightly too large, but there does not seem to be any adjustment on the trailer coupling. The coupling is a a Bradley double lock, all guides online seem to show various ways of adjusting nuts to vary the tension, but this coupling seems to have none of that.

Am I missing something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Bit of cooper grease on the ball? Belt of a lump hammer?

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭uncle-mofo

Have tried all that along with an insane amount of GT85. The mechanism itself moves smoothly so I don't think that's the issue

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Doe Tiden

Have you used the hitch before?

I had a similar issue with my ball hitch when it was new it was just from the paint on it

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭uncle-mofo

It is a new hitch and it is painted! I see now that they should be sanded down which never crossed my mind. I will give that a go.

Thanks

Advertisement