Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RCD tripping

Options
  • 31-01-2024 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Would anyone be able to give some advice on tracing an RCD tripping issue? It's intermittent, not at a regular time at all. We replaced the fridge a year or so ago as that was believed to be the problem and everything was fine. Obviously it could be the fridge again but this would suggest that there's a deeper issue. Any ideas on where to start troubleshooting?

Also, since moving in 10 years ago, I've noticed the lights dimming on and off when next door have their electric shower on. Wondering if this is cause for concern, these houses were built in the 50's so I wouldn't be surprised to see quirks here and there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭meercat

A competent rec should be able to get to the bottom of this with some testing

you say the house was built in the 50s,is the wiring from then also?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭circadian

Wiring is newer, not sure whehn but probably does need redone. I don't have it in me to rewire right now because running lines will be a nightmare with solid block walls. I've started suspecting a leak in the shower shorting something on the floor below so I'll probably ned some remedial work there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭meercat

A rec doing an insulation resistance test would identify the issue and it may not be a major problem. Check your immersion

Advertisement