Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boxing games - Which ones have you enjoyed over the years?

Options
  • 31-01-2024 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭

The two best boxing games I have ever played are Fight Night Round 4 and Fight Night Champion. Ok, you get some random inexplicable knockouts now and again. It finally felt like a real free-flowing fight and you were rewarded for finding openings. Massive improvements on Fight Night Round 3. Two great games. Sadly there have been no decent boxing games since. Fight Night Champion was released in 2010 and still has a dedicated following. I think it is/was on Xbox Game Pass.

I have never played Punch-Out.

Any other boxing games you have played or enjoyed over the years? I know that there was a lot in the 16-bit era but I have not played any of them yet.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

The best one I played was that one that was in the arcade years ago and you had the 2 sticks to control your punches, cant remember the name of it.

Scrap that, I found it: https://www.giantbomb.com/title-fight/3030-33904/

Title Fight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭SharkMX

The thrill of the fight in MR on the quest 3 is amazing. Never seen anything like it.

From the arcades there was one ion the late 80s with two handles that you good do realistic kind of jabs, hooks and uppercuts. I can find any pictures of it on google though.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Super Punchout for me. It's just such a lovely game to look at, the animation is gorgeous. Lots of fun to boot.

I'd say Retr0gamer will be along shortly to tell us how the original Punch-Out is one of the greatest games ever made 😁

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

Greatest Heavyweights on the MD is a game I've enjoyed a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Punch Out Wii has to be a top 5 rhythm-action game, dripping with charm and is totally timeless given its aesthetic and its pick-up-and-playability.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

+1 for Fight Night Rd 4

Great game, only negative was typical of EA, locking some legendary fighters behind paywalls - you had to pay extra to unlock them, which was a shame

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Last one I played was Frank Bruno on the Spectrum, basically a Super Punch Out clone, great fun

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Here I am. I've actually not played super punchout but want to give it a go.

I beat the original punchout on NES about this time last year and have to say it's a bad facsimile of the sport but also one of the all time best videogames ever. The journey I went on to beat Tyson was incredible and I've never been so elated to beat a game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭phily2002

Evander Holyfield boxing on the megadrive and knockout kings 2000/2001 got a lot of play with my group of friends. Haven't played them in years so will have to go back and see how they hold up today.

Advertisement