Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HSE transfer

Options
  • 30-01-2024 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

i am a care assistant working for the HSE. I’ve been trying to get a transfer for 9 months now.

Management keep putting it off. Now they’re blaming it on the recruitment freeze saying it’s not possible with that going on. I just know once that’s lifted there will be another reason.

I would like to add I’m also on probation for 12 months. Also I want a transfer to another ward (In a different building all together) but still the same management ect that’s only 2 minutes down the road from me.

This ward would be close to my home instead of me spending 1 hour to and from commuting to work.

any suggestions or anybody know how I can go about this?. I feel I’m at my wits end asking management they keep putting it off.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭the14thwarrior

you took a job at a specific location, and there you must stay. why are you at your wits' end.??

not sure if you are on probation because you are new or is there another reasons? If it is a discplinary issue, technically the other location can refuse to take you. Which you may never really find out

they are under no obligation to give you a transfer, they may have valid reasons of their own which no doubt you can argue with but ultimately they are under no obligation.

the most common reason for management however, and it is a valid one, is that if they give you a transfer, they have to give it to anyone else that asks. So you may have to wait until there is a vacancy at the other site; even at that, whoever gets / applies for that job may very well want that location and not yours. The other thing to consider is that there is a recruitment freeze, which is true, and if you transfer they are down one person, and won't get you replaced. They may never get you replaced because staffing is such an issue. There may be other staff that have asked and been refused. You'll never know.

All you can do is wait; fingers crossed and hope something gives somewhere.

Transfers are very hard to accomplish unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 addi.murph

The place I’m trying to get a transfer to I was there for 3 years but with an agency. I then decided to move to the hse as it’s more secure. So my probation is because I’m new , not behavioural issues.

yes I accepted my current location but people have previously been transferred to where I want to go. It’s literally just another ward of our hospital but in a different location.

I think you’re right though if I go there’s a gap that will need to be filled.

I was told a while ago I can get a transfer when the new lot come in. But then the freeze happened so we obviously got no new people yet.

So yes I am at my wits end. Consistently getting told different things by different management coming and going. Being in a toxic work place but loving your job isn’t easy to walk into every day.

but I do get that a position has to be filled if I go. That’s obviously not possible right now and there’s nothing management can do in this very moment. I just know when it’s lifted there will be another excuse giving to me. That’s why I was hoping is there any policies about this or has anyone been in a similar situation :)

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭the14thwarrior

there are no policies on transfers in HSE to my knowledge. some workplaces won't allow it unless it is a like for like i.e. you know someone who wants to work in your location and vice versa and you both negotiate managers. Years ago there was an internal transfer "list" but I don't believe it exists for some time.

I'm afraid as I stated before, it is quite hard to do. Some managers will try to accommodate it by virtue of the next hiring phase (come to an agreement with the other manager in the other workplace).

the union won't help too much, unless you have a genuine grievance which might be resolved by you transferring.

Yes I am aware of different scenerio's of transfers, and best you can do is wait it out. I can't think of anything else that will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 JesseJane

If its effecting your mental or physical health being in a toxic environment then your well being has to be taken into consideration. I was told this by a HR Manager. If you can hold on another few months until hopefully the freeze ends then do if you can't maybe contact askHR@hse.ie. Best of luck.

Advertisement