Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secure bike parking - Dublin CC

Options
  • 30-01-2024 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to lock my ebike up for a few hours down around Amiens Street, I have a retirement party that i'm attending for a few hours Wednesday evening and want to lock up the bike. Does anyone know where i could leave it and be sure it would be relatively safe?

Even if there was someplace safe along the red line around Jervis etc, it wouldn't be too bad.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Call the venue that's holding the Retirement party and ask them if you can store your bike on their premises?

(If more and more venues get requests to store bikes, it might encourage them to provide descent bike storage AND also negate opposition to bike lanes/infrastructure etc.)

Post edited by 07Lapierre on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Good suggestion above. Other than that wouldn't leave it in open view regardless of locks even in places that are supposedly monitored such as Drury St car park.

I think the concealed bike lockers at some train stations are good. Can't see what lies within and they're usually placed close to manned stations and thus haven't heard of any break-ins to same. Not sure if there are any in Connolly but Heuston definitely have a number of them within the station near the boarding gates to platforms 6-9. That said you'd have to pay for the locker as well as the onward and return luas/bus ticket so far from ideal when you have your own mode of transport.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

There's a Drury street type set up on Jervis street too. It's the car park beside the luas line, not the one.

They've lockers in heuston but I don't know if they can be booked

• Registered Users Posts: 6,470 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Hey OP

If you wouldnt even consider Drury St (which is about as safe as you will get, then you may end up finding that cycling your bike is quite a limited/ limiting experience. As you wont feel confident locking it anywhere; and whenever it is locked you will be worrying about it.

Maybe you might consider insuring the bike and taking the stress out of it. it would cost around 150/200 a year i think.

Alternatively - you might consider getting a second cheaper bike that is specifically for this sort of instance when you need to lock it in town or whatever. You'll pick up a decent second hand bike on adverts for 400/500.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,954 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

From what I recall most bicycle insurance companies do not cover street theft. You have to basically prove it can't be stolen to get cover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭2011abc

No such thing :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

Thanks guys, i'll try the one at Jervis. I'll take the battery out and hope for the best.

For what it's worth, i looked at getting bike lockers down in Heuston before, but they seemed to be done on a subscription basis and there was low availability too.

I've a motorbike chain and heavy pad lock, so there's f**k all else i can do. If they really want it, they're going to take it!

Bikmo Ireland Policy Wording

There are very few insurance companies covering bike insurance. I've linked Bikmo above- they do cover theft, but I'd say you'd do well to claim for it.

TBH - best insurance policy is to own:

Good bike that you never let out of your sight and

Run-around bike that you can live with being stolen.

..... God knows, there are enough stolen bikes for sale on the second hand goods websites, can pick them up cheaply enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

"..... God knows, there are enough stolen bikes for sale on the second hand goods websites, can pick them up cheaply enough."

The circle is complete... as long as people buy cheap 2nd hand bikes (and don't ask too many questions) bikes will be stolen.

Not sure I agree - there would be plenty of people willing to buy cheap 2nd hand BMWs (and not ask too many questions) - but it doesnt happen because these things are hard to steal, and if you do steal them they are hard to sell.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Good bike that you never let out of your sight and Run-around bike that you can live with being stolen.

This has always been my approach and it has worked out well. Expensive racer for weekend trips, cheap hybrid for run-around.

However e-bikes kind of create a new situation where that doesn’t work for everyone. E-bikes are expensive, but are often being used as commuting bikes and run-around bikes by folks who aren’t such strong or abled cyclists. And that is a great thing to help promote people into cycling, but leaves those users vulnerable to bike theft.

If I had an expensive e-bike, then I’d invest in one of the new grinder resistant u-locks, the Hiplock D1000 or Litelock x3, expensive and of course not 100% guarantee, but pretty good protection.

Advertisement