Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meeting at work

Options
  • 30-01-2024 8:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

I work as a cleaner in a hospital, and I also provide training for new staff due to holding a BICS certificate. Recently, I was called for a meeting because two team members reported that I was providing training incorrectly. In the meeting, a manager and two supervisors questioned me in an unpleasant manner. They even questioned my English proficiency. The meeting lacked any witnesses, and I was alone in a room with them, facing provocative questions. When I requested minutes of the meeting, I was informed it was an informal, verbal discussion with no notes taken.

I am unsure if their actions were legitimate and if I should address the HR department regarding the incident, but I am exhausted by this attitude and considering refusing to conduct any future training of new staff as this is going on for a while now, since I refused to take a supervisor position (for the same pay). Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

id be very interested to know how the staff could judge that they were being trained correcy or not. do you have a contract and does it state that tou must traun people? who trained them before you were ceetified as in another colleague or a supervisor?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Im not in a cleaning job, but I was offered a promotion a couple of years ago and they said they would see how i did in the new role for a year and then decide how much more pay i would get.

The new role would have involved much more work with much longer hours and weekends.

They were just promoting me to get extra work for nothing out of me.

I just said no thanks, im happy with my current job and I dont really want more responsibility and more hours of work for the same pay.

The person in that role left a few weeks later and all of their work and responsibilities came to me. I still kept just doing my old job and a meeting similar to yours was help op.

I just said thats not my job. You offered it to me but i said thanks but no thanks. Is there a problem with the work i have been doing for years in my role?

They said well someone is going to have to do it.

My reply was "Thats why you guys get paid the big bucks.". Thats the last i ever heard of it. I doubt i'll be promoted again in there but now i do no extra work or overtime etc, which i used to do for them for free. Im happy with that.

If I ever got called to another meeting like that id have my phone in my pocket on record and not tell them. So do that. What they say might come in useful later.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭b.e.s.s.

No, that was just put on me after I decided not to take supervisors position as they offer no major increase. They said can you train the new hires if we send you for unskill. I said that sure I could do training for the increase you offered me, but not as a supervisor unless we negotiate the rate. So, there I was training away and suddenly two complaints. I'm just not ready for all this at a minimum wage. But I am still uncertain if I should get on to HR with a complaint or just ignore them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Could be an advantage that there is no written record. Likely not worth pursuing as management will just deny everything to HR and HR just want the least hassle and legally risky outcome (i.e. nothing untoward happened). With no written evidence there won't be a case. But similarly they don't have a paper trail to show anything against you either.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Ted222

Assuming these guys are your managers or supervisors, what was the purpose of the meeting? Did they tell you that you needed to improve? If so did they suggest how? Did they threaten you with being fired?

I don’t really get it. It sounds like they just had a rant and said things you didn’t like to hear. Nobody likes to have their performance criticised but why do you think their actions should be reported to HR?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,524 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I would just stop doing the training.

Advertisement