Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trickle Vents for PVC windows.

Options
  • 30-01-2024 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭

Howdy Folks,

Trying to gather some intel on installing trickle vents to 20 year old PVC double glazing.

One of my teenagers rooms (in fact all of our rooms) get real bad condensation. One room gets it bad.

Would a trickle vent be a possible fix? and do companies install them?

One bedroom has bad condensation and gets mould on the ceiling. I’ve cleared it off a few times. the wall vent is clear. there’s a musty smell at times in the room and it’s driving me mental even though we open the window every day.

I guess the rooms needs ventilation but am at list as how to do this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Hi, I don't know any who retro-fit them and I'm still not convinced that they are worth it.

Didn't you get the dehumidifier recently? Did it reduce the humidity at all? I found that even with a dehumidifier running my two kid's windows were both full of condensation this morning, but the room with the newer double-glazing was a lot less than the old. But the amount of condensation is a lot less than what it used to be before the dehumidifiers were added.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭embracingLife

Yes the Pvc window repair companies can fit trickle vents. They can explain what's involved when you talk to them. Google search is the easiest way to find local to you.

BTW have you got a wall vent in the room?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

We have 20 year old PVC windows here too in a 70s bungalow and used to get pretty bad condensation every morning. We had trickle vents installed when we had our insulation done a few years ago and they didn't really do anything. We got a dehumidifier and that would bring the relative humidity right down, but it'd be back up again if we weren't running it.

Eventually, I fitted a PIV and it sorted it out pretty quick. I actually had it off for a few weeks recently while we were looking at condensation in the attic and the condensation came back on the bedroom windows. I forgot I had turned it off, and turned it back on yesterday and there was none again this morning. This is the guy we got. It's a blunt too obviously and will never be the same as something like demand control ventilation, but it does what we wanted it to do. My understanding is that it works best with vents in each room as the air has a natural spot to flow out of.

I must actually measure the relative humidity in the rooms again now and see where we're at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭tom23

Hey folks, sorry I missed these replies hadn’t got notifications on for this thread.

All great posts. I haven’t got anyone yet to do trickle vents yet but hope to have someone in the next couple weeks.

Incidentally I went up to Ikea and bought a good few Snake Plants as they are meant to be good in helping out with removing condensation. Along with the humidifier oopeneing windows and keeping the house aired i hope it sit will alleviate the problem short term until i can sort it long term

Edit:

Just noticed a couple of Mould spots coming back. It’s funny I have a four bedroom house semi d. The vents in front and back room have no problems. Vents at side of the house facing the next semi d is where I get the problems with mould. I wonder if I put in two new vents in the rooms effected (back and front of house) would that help with airflow….?

Post edited by tom23 on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭tom23

I actually just bought one this morning in Screwfix. Got it on sale for 169. Hope it makes a small difference.

Thanks

Advertisement