Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Besides your own county who is your second favourite football team and why?

Options
  • 29-01-2024 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,257 ✭✭✭✭

I was thinking about this after the opening round of league matches.

In the football, I admire the way Monaghan get the max out of the players and panel they have. They have a system that really suits the players, they are hard bet. I also like Roscommon as well as always attacking, and seem to regularly do well at club/underage . It has been like for about a decade for me, watching to see how those two fare.

Hurling, I suppose it would be Galway lots of Galway relations, and you never really know what Galway would turn up on any given day. Very inconsistent but loads of talent. Always entertaining either way.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,257 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Just to the mods I meant to put GAA team instead of football team in the title. Including the small ball game in the discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭crusd

1.Native County

2.Adopted home Club

3.Native Club

4.Fathers county

Daylight

300.Adopted county

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Clare native. Limerick in the hurling and any Northern team in the football. interesting question.

Well I am a Dub myself so that rules out certain counties!

But there is always a few counties I keep an eye out for. Louth footballers was one at one stage when they had 4/5 very handy players and looked like they could cause a shock or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 FCTwenteBenson

Monaghan in football (I suspect thats a very common trend) Clare in hurling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,411 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

London is the only "county" I have a connection to outside of Limerick so definitely them.

But in terms of counties I like for no real reason I have always liked Galway. I suppose in hurling they were usually a similar success level to ourselves but not close enough to be rivals.

In football I tend to go for the underdog without really having a county. Would usually support any Munster team except Kerry because of the underdog thing (will support them against the Dubs though)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Seadin

In football I will support the underdog whoever it is. But I like Kerry football when they aren't playing Cork because I have alot of connections in the county, alot of great friends and relations there.

I'm hurling, I always went for Galway after Cork because they play lovely hurling, underachieved alot in senior level for a fine hurling county.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

I tended to support Mayo after Derry as my great grandmother was from there. Although I attended the Quarter Final double header last year and noticed Mayo people supporting Cork. They were supporting a team who beat Mayo a short time earlier. I wonder why this was, was it because of the Rory Gallagher saga or because we are a northern team? I chose not to support Mayo anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Mayo, I know they get a lot of stick but in 2016 and 2017 in particular they were immense and really ran the brilliant Dublin team to the absolute closest of margins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Down i loved that team they had in the 90's. It's about time they have some success again. With regards to hurling it would be Waterford due to family reasons.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

he actually scored better then this but i cant find it on youtube 🙈 an incredible footballer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

i loved the meath teams under sean boylan but , we were always drawn to kerry coming from west clare , its tradition to still support them

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

Is any team but mayo an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭Xander10

Dublin supporter

Second county Galway. I've an older brother in law from Galway who took me to many a Galway football & hurling game both home and way, as a young boy.

A healthy respect for the meath team of the boylan era. Went toe to toe with the dubs and left some great memories of days in croke park

• Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭Dickie10

as a meath fan, i always like to see offaly do well in football and hurling, espeically football which is strange as they always had an abilty to shock meath, so healthy respect for them, 97,2000 and even 2023.

i always get the feeling some counties like each other because of both not liking meath, i always hear Cavan and Louth fans banging on about loving the dubs and all thier bandwagon and the dubs seem to have a love in for louth especially. the likes of westmeath, offaly and kildare dont fawn over dublin the way cavan and louth do. any one else notice this?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I often wonder if there many people out there who follow a county very well, but are not from that county, or have no relatives, or reason to support them outside just liking that county.

When I lived in Dublin from 2007 to 2013 every Dublin Taxi Driver supported Kilkenny it seemed.

being from Cork lucky don't have like anyone else, but always had a soft spot for Antrim. Just admire how Small Pocket tried to keep the game alive and the stories of some of their players in the past you just got admire them. Love to see them win Liam someday (0.0000000001% chance I know)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭billyhead

Glory hunter Dublin fans lol. Those taxi drivers probably follow Limerick now.

Sometimes a player/club or a player with a catchy name can make a neutral take an interest in a county.

Say Antrim Hurling and immediately think of Sambo McNaughton. Longford would make me think "Longford Slashers" etc.

I remember years ago when UCD played in the Dublin Championship it had players from all over, a cohort from Wicklow were on the team, it made me keep an eye Wicklow just to check to see how they were playing etc

Advertisement