Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accepting a school place and then declining later?

Options
  • 29-01-2024 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭

Hi all,

We just got an offer from the local primary school for our daughter for junior infants. We are giving a week to accept the offer. This school is not our first choice. The other school we want her to go to won't be sending out offers until mid February.

Is it ok to accept the offer now? Then, if our daughter gets a place from our first choice to then accept that and then tell the other school that we are declining the offer?

Thank you.

Comments

yes you can they will just offer the place to someone on the waiting list. Don’t worry you won’t be taking a place from someone else if you change your mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭PenguinForce

Thank you.

The provisional letter of offer we got today describes all the steps needed to go through.

Reading through that made us felt everything sounds very final. We have to provide info on our daughther by 7th and then the formal letter of offer must be accepted by 16th.

Hopefully we get news from the other school by that time.

I have read from some older post that school share the same system. And if your child is registered in one school already you can't accept the other offer. But I'm guessing that's false?

Never heard anything like that before to be honest re school systems. I presume that would be some sort of department of education registration system.

In any case I imagine if you contact the principal of the school you are hoping to enroll with and asking them if they can give you some idea when you will find out as the other school in the area requires an answer by 16th!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I’ve only heard of that happening in secondary schools in a city .

There’s absolutely no problem with accepting one and then going with the other , once you notify the first school immediately.

Advertisement