Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three Wifi calling - Ireland only? VPN?

Options
  • 29-01-2024 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,753 ✭✭✭

I read that Three only offer wifi calling within Ireland? Will a VPN get past this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭pakb1ue

Sadly not from my own experience. I think they look up the last mast you connected to and then decide to enable WiFi calling or not. I tested this before after arriving in Spain connected to WiFi before taking off flight mode and I had WiFi calling but when I disabled flight mode I lost WiFi calling as my new phone mast was in Spain.

VPN gets around Vodafones WiFI calling.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

Eir & GoMo are the only Irish operators to allow use of WiFi calling while roaming, and also to carry native SMS text messaging (not RCS) over WiFi. While SMS has declined on as a person-to-person protocol, it is still very widely used for 2-Factor authentication messages. Three also not endorsed by Apple, so perhaps not fully compliant?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,753 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Thanks both.

So it's impossible to get a call or even access voicemails while outside cell coverage for a week (really outside cell coverage, only wifi access)? (With 3)

If you never take your phone off Airplane mode after leaving Ireland then it would work (pretty sure I didn't need to use a VPN when I tested it in Spain).

Another option would be to get a VoIP number (Skype etc) and divert your calls to that number. But you wouldn't get SMS but you wouldn't get that either with WiFi calling with 3. If you need SMS messages too then I'd leave the three SIM at home in an old phone and get a GoMo SIM (would probably work with Skype number too) and divert all calls and texts (you'd need an app to do this and you couldn't reply with your three number [EDIT: unless you use webtexts but for that you need to access the webpage using an Irish IP]).

As for voicemails you can just dial your phone number with the extra 5 after 083 but again I would use Skype for this as roaming chargers are high outside of the EU https://community.three.ie/t5/Products-Services/Voicemail-Overview/ta-p/519251#roaming

Post edited by pakb1ue on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,753 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Is there an SMS to email service offered by any Irish operators?

• Advertisement

No idea

Also this was the app I used to forward text messages https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.frzinapps.smsforward&hl=en&gl=US

If I was you'd I'd really just get an old phone put your three SIM into it, keep the charger connected, get a Skype Irish number (I couldn't find a Irish number on the app but could on the website) forward all phone calls to this number, download SMS Forward app and forward all messages to the Skype number. Test all calls and texts are routed to the Skype number then you are safe to leave the old phone while you are away.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

I don't think so. There used to be lots of 3rd-party SMS to email forwarding apps for Android. I used to use them years ago, but then they seemed to be banned by Google - probably for security reasons to curb their use for various scams. I am not sure if they have found a way around the security issues, and if they have been able to cope with the migration of most P2P messages from SMS to RCS. Try searching in the Google App Store.

Advertisement