Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disclosing Autism to Employer - Civil Service

Options
  • 28-01-2024 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,

I would be grateful for advice regarding whether to disclose my autism in work. I am at a senior managerial grade in the Civil Service and have not informed anyone that I have autism.

I am high functioning. It does not define me and I put a lot of effort into learning how to mitigate the associated negatives that come with that (e.g. social/sensory), whilst playing to my strengths (e.g. pragmatic and logical approach/attention to detail).

I believe that I am making a positive contribution and have proceeded up through the grades on merit (I started as a CO).

I am considering informing my workplace for two reasons in the main:

(1) For my colleagues/staff, it may be beneficial for them to know. Despite my best efforts, I can lack social grace and sometimes will err! Also, in terms of sensory, I like to wear headphones in the office as I am very sensitive to noise.

(2) Civil Service assignments can be a spin of the wheel and land you where the need is most. I think it would be prudent that I am not placed in a position of managing a significant amount of staff (e.g. Social Welfare, Revenue). I think I have developed a management style that is effective, but I don't think this would work in certain scenarios and also would be very challenging.

The downsides as I see it, is that it could effect my career opportunities (particularly internal competitions). Further, I don't want to be treated/perceived as unable.

Thank you for reading and I would appreciate any observations or advice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

Hi, you don't say how long you are in the Civil service, or if you were diagnosed recently. This came up in my workplace recently, and the Occupational Health Department recommended the individual involved not officially notify HR as it would hinder the individual and not be helpful. The organisation I work for want robots not people, and by drawing attention to yourself is asking for trouble, but that's only my experience.

You would need to make a list of the pros and cons and see what you can live with,

There are a lot of adults currently being diagnosed later in life, but I've not heard of anyone who had a successful integration after telling their employer, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I think I just know too many larger than life companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

I'm diagnosed autistic and also with ADHD.

I start work as an EO next week, but until recently worked in management in the private sector.

My own experience of disclosing both privately and in the civil service has been nothing but positive.

I disagree with the above about a lack of successful integration after disclosure - I have had nothing but consideration and my requested accommodations met and was still treated as normal, promoted when earned on merit just like anyone else, etc.

Ultimately, the stigma and potential lack of progression or outright discrimination won't change while so many are afraid to disclose and ask for any reasonable accomodations they may need in order to put their work life on as even a keel as their non-disabled counterparts

• Registered Users Posts: 10,442 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

An experience I've had has been the opposite of what you portray.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Relic01

May I ask please, what reasonable accommodations were afforded to you? I recognise it is different from person to person, but interested to read about any experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

It's not just that it's different for each person, it's also that it depends entirely on what the person asks for.

In my previous job, I was given written notification before phone calls, and the message told me what the call was about. Written agenda before meetings, any calls asking me to do tasks outside of my usual duties was followed up with an email (as i would forget due to panic over being on the phone 😂). In another place I have similar to the above and permission to use Loops/earbuds when background noise is distracting me, flexible start/finish times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

If there are internal "Diversity" requirements, then the diagnosis could help rather then hinder.

Otherwise, if your doing well and your work doesn't need to make any special accommodations then I would say don't bother. I can't see it adding any real positive impact. Its probable that your coworkers and management already know but just don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Relic01

I’d suspect those who know me best have an idea alright. However, I am pretty good at masking it. This takes a toll though, as after a day of in person meetings I will be mentally wiped. More so then your average person, where I’ll have to go and be alone for a while.

Civil Service promotes diversity and I know that I’ve certainly had to undertake training on it, but as pointed out the potential pros of disclosing need to outweigh the risks. This is a bit frustrating as you’re covering up a part of you, which has cons, but some pros as well.

Advertisement