Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you have been cycling at least 10 years, how much have you spent on Bike related

Options
  • 28-01-2024 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭

Maybe you bought

Road bikes

Winter road bikes

mountainn bikes

Electric bikes

Excercise bike

Indoor trainer equipment

Bike components upgrades

Bike repairs

Bicycle computerS

Sports watches

Helmets

bicycle Locks

Front lights

Back lights

Water bottle and cages

Floor pumps

Spare tubes

Spare tyres

Mini pumps

Bike tools

Puncture repair kits

bike cleaning tools

bike cleaning supplies

wet chain lubes

dry chain lubes

Bike stands

Rain jackets

Rain trousers

winter Cycling jerseys

Summer cycling jerseys

cycling socks

cycling shoes

Overshoes

Padded shorts

Padded tights

Winter Sunglasses

Summer sunglasses

Car racks

Mudguards

Panniers

Pannier racks

Pannier bags

winter gloves

summer gloves

Saddle bagS

Frame bagS

New SaddleS

Pedals

Gym memberships

Cycling memberships

Physio or yoga classes

Cycling books

Cycling themed stuff

If you have been cycling at least 10 years, how much have you spent on Bike related 50 votes

< 5k
    16% 8 votes
    5k - 10k
    30% 15 votes
    10k -15k
    22% 11 votes
    15k- 20k
    10% 5 votes
    25k- 50k
    12% 6 votes
    50k-100k
    8% 4 votes
    >100k
    2% 1 vote
    Post edited by eeeee on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

I've bought two new bikes in the last two years so that's massively skewed my spend (about 7k between the two of them).

Prior to that I'd have a low annual spend maybe 200e per year inc clothing

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭timbel

4 bikes over the years, multiple trips abroad probably the next biggest spend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,816 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Shut this thread down right now.

Shut. It. Down.

Now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Wife’s or other significant partners watching from the sidelines. No way i’m answering this question

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Ooof, I tried to figure this out recently and I got a headache, then there's all the stuff ive sold.

Like I've currently 7 bikes, but I didn't own any of them more than 3-4 years ago excepting one and thay was only the frame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Suspect the wife is on boards… 👀

• Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭cletus

About €150 👀

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

I've been to the doctor maybe twice in the last 10 years

Probably missed 5/6 days from work in that period.

Don't smoke, drink little and don't eat crap.

So, the way I look at it the bike is keeping me healthy.

I'm saving money by owning bikes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭secman

Not a penny, got everything on here as freebies.......my 👃 is feeling odd, growth spurt maybe 🤔

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭bilbot79

+1

Money you would spend getting healthy when youre sick = infinite

Money you would spend avoiding ill health through cycling over 10 yearz =5-20k

Bikes have no tail pipe emissions and keep you healthy. They should be celebrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 abmoto

I counted the money I spent on myself and my partner's cycling needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Ha similar, I haven't been to a doctor in over 10 years and haven't missed any days off work in that period either. Even with the reduced PT fares in Dublin I'm saving €20 per week on train fares by cycling also.

Spend very little on my bikes, I've never brought any of them to a shop/mechanic. While there are 4 in the shed I only regularly use the two road bikes both of which were bought 2nd hand from boardies here. Even including bikes/gear/parts I would probably be <2k in the last 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Nothing on top of the bikes. It's a cheap sport once you have the bike....

Not even thinking of my spend on a depressing enough Monday morning ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭secman

Just a bit of advice from a older cyclist, Only men would boast about not having a medical checkup in over 10 years, on a very very complex piece of equipment. Yet we would ridicule anyone who had a car, or a simple bike and boasted that they hadn't had it serviced or checked out in 10 years.

I too was guilty of the above, my father died at 63, never having a family doctor, bit of an eye opener for me, so I started having yearly check ups from about 46 years old and 20 years later I'm still cycling regularly at decent level and aiming for 10k kms per annum. One of my better life decisions, I'm now currently on some meds, and as my cardiologist said to me "just a few additives to keep my engine purring and running sweet".

Sorry for side tracking the thread but think it's sound advice, high cholesterol is a hidden killer.

Post edited by secman on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭dahat

In all seriousness I wouldn’t even like to calculate this. I do however try to be as economical as possible with parts , clothing etc to respect the family budget. There is no purchase hidden from herself as that only leads to aggravation in the long run.

My mental state has improved massively since I took up cycling then racing, the challenges it brings me on many levels leads to immense personal satisfaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Eiregt

Before COVID, my spending was reasonable, not much more than basic maintenance/consumables when needed. I had a road and a CX bike that I alternated between and kept them well. Max probably 200-300 between the two.

After COVID..... Well it all went a bit mad over those years and has since just spiralled out of control to the point of now having a "bike room" in the house. Not to mention the graveyard of bits hanging in the attic and out in the shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Contender for worst thread ever on boards. I'm out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Don't want to think about it.

All bought second hand though bar clothing.

And please for the love of whatever you believe in go to the doctor once a year even if you think you don't need it. You'd service a car or a bike every year, get yourself looked at, if for nothing else to get baselines from which deviations can highlight any issues early on. Especially if you're over 40. It's utterly ridiculous not to imo, you'd spend time and money on a hobby but not your body/ health?! Makes no sense to me! As a woman we have to go to the doc once ever 6 months, I fully don't understand the reluctance to see a doc!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

No idea. Bought my first bike with Irish punts! But I feel every penny I spent was an investment not an expense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,470 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

A bit hampered by not one but two BTW bikes being stolen.

Also, have bought several kids bikes, bigger as they get bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,470 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Confused - how would anyone consider this a contender for worst thread ever on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Because it's a PITA to tot up 10 years of spending, plus the result is pretty depressing for most of us. I know I've spent 15K+ and I don't really want to remind myself of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

I had an excel spreadsheet that I kept updated with all spend and maintenance. Thankfully it went missing there when a laptop fritzed. I still have a version of it on a USB stick somewhere but was happy enough to let it slide. It was both surprising and unsurprising to see how it added up. In the 5 years I kept it updated I spent a lot on parts. In fairness I was maintaining a few bikes at the time- Commuter x2, Road bike x2, CX x3, MTB x2 and an ould MTB used to cycle 300m to a farmyard - that last bike took some abuse! The 2 vague lessons I took away from it were;

1: MTB and CX are very hard on consumables and road bikes don't need much once you keep the brake pads and chain fresh.

2: It's cheaper than owning a second car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Bike and wahoo kicker 2200. Probably about 200 p.a in bits and pieces. Plus same again for Strava and zwift in the past two years. Do about 6000km most years.

Savings include train fares (750 pa), though this is down (300pa) since Covid. Had a serious medical problem about five years ago but recovery was helped a lot by bike related fitness.

I’ll likely replace my very worn out TCR this year. So maybe another 2k then.

Advertisement