Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inspiring people- Dervla Murphy

Options
  • 28-01-2024 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭

I was reading there about Kerry footballer Tomas Mac an tSaoir who has cycled across Afghanistan and in passing it was mentioned that this is not the first time that an Irish person has cycled across Afghanistan. What?

Then I learned about Dervla Murphy.

Here is her wiki page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dervla_Murphy?wprov=sfla1

She had this remarkable life travelling all over the world by bike. Back in the sixties!

First across Europe and then across the Middle East and eventually onto India to work with the poor there. Fair play to the Kerry footballer above, but her story is just incredible. This was pre-internet, pre-proper commercial air travel etc and she was a woman travelling alone.

How does someone even begin to so this. How did she manage. She wrote books about her travels which I must check out.

Anyone know anything more about her. I'm amazed she isn't better known.

Comments

Advertisement