Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rubbish Fruit & Veg from Egypt

Options
  • 28-01-2024 1:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Folks , something I've noticed over the past few years - hoping it's not just me. The oranges we've been getting the last couple of summers have been absolutely atrocious - we used to get some lovely stuff from Morocco now it seems to be desiccated rubbish from Egypt all Summer long. At the moment in the supermarkets you have the worst 'spring onions' and the worst 'strawberries' it's ever been my misfortune to taste - guess what? - they're from Egypt - who is doing this, and why are we putting up with it ?

I see the name 'Meades'. attached to a lot of this stuff , are they buying rubbish for 50c a shipping container and just dumping it on us? - I travel a fair bit in Europe and don't see this shite anywhere else, any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Depends where you buy your cheap tasteless fruit and veg.

I like mine with a taste but paying for the quality and 1 store has expanded 4 times in 6 years and the whole area shops in there for quality stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Would agree, standard’s have gone down the tube.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭jackboy

What shop sells the food stuff? Seems to be hard to find?

I find Supervalue to be awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Climate change, innit? Moroccan citrus production this season is down by 35% on the same season last year, due to water shortage and unfavourable weather. The reduced production is still of high quality but, because of the low volume, is scarce and prices are high. Retailers have to choose between offering a limited amount of high-quality but expensive produce, or a steadier, cheaper supply of fruit from other regions.

Expect more of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Local polish shop does the nicest fruit I've ever had outside country of origin

Oranges are juicy, pears have flavour. Dragon fruit, custard apples, mango, papaya, blueberries, strawberry (in season)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mykrodot

What shop is that and where? (Kerry I hope!)

I was living in Drogheda until last year and ditto, the Polish shop there had absolutely amazing fruit ! A bit of a pain to go there specially and it was in the middle of the town unlike Lidl/Aldi etc.................but it was well worth it!

I'm now in Kerry so if you know somewhere good I'll give them my business too.

I agree with the first post although we really shouldn't be buying out of season fruits.........strawberries in January is just something we don't need and shouldn't really support with climate change and the carbon emmissions it takes to get them here . I don't mind apples and pears from France/Spain etc if I can't get Irish ones, but anywhere outside of Europe I don't buy. A lot of our apples come from New Zealand....crazy !!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Only 6 years old and thriving and the amount of business it brought into the area pleased them all and in Dublin.

https://www.facebook.com/RobbiesGreengrocer

• Registered Users Posts: 27,905 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The strawberries only come from Egypt during off season. I dont think they have ever been good. They are v different variety to ours or the Elsanta from Belgium or Netherlands. Keelings are still occasionally getting in Elsanta even in January that are good.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,395 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Stocked up on the 49c 250g grapes from Aldi last week. They came from S Africa, Namibia, Peru. They were tasty and fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Murt10

I was shopping in Lidl in Spain last Sept.

They have the same machines instore there for crushed orange juice. I was really shocked that they were charging over €5.00 for a 500ml bottle of OJ, while our own Lidl back at home at the same time was only charging €3.99.

Bizarre!

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mykrodot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭beachhead

Strange Lidl Spain normally a minimum 25% cheaper than the Republic

Advertisement