Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waiting list for braces, Galway

Options
  • 27-01-2024 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

We’ve been advised by a private orthodontist that our son needs orthodontic treatment, including braces and possibly a gum surgery. We’re waiting for assessment by the HSE but I believe this will be considered a stage 5 problem. How long should we expect to be waiting? We’re in Galway.

The specific problem is that one upper canine tooth is not coming down (baby tooth still there). The X-ray showed the tooth heading in the wrong direction and there’s a risk it will start to damage the roots of the front teeth if not treated. The teeth look perfect. He’s in first year but didn’t have a 6th class check up due to Covid so it didn’t get picked up.

We’re seeing the HSE dentist soon but on the phone they said there’s a three year waiting list for orthodontics. From what the private orthodontist said, that kind of delay could cause serious damage to his other teeth.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭kirving

If you can afford it at all, I would recommend to go private. Most places will do payment plans.

I'm 34yo and currently at home recovering after a second jaw operation and almost 5 years of treatment, which could have been avoided had the HSE done their job 20 years ago.

Advertisement