Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honeywell 3 zone system - heat bleeding into off zones

Options
  • 27-01-2024 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

I have a 3 zone oil fired system with a Honeywell panel, 2 thermostats that I ignore and 3 Honeywell actuators in the hot press. It was giving me trouble for a while in that when downstairs was turned off it didn't stop the boiler fully. It would be constantly making a low rumble and then fire up for a little while. So a couple of downstairs radiators would stay hot and obviously the oil level would go lower. I solved that by taking the actuator off and closing the valve manually. After a few days of that it even went back to working properly. But for the last week it's got worse. Now upstairs goes about 60% heat when I turn downstairs. When I turn upstairs on downstairs goes about 30%. So I am turning on and off manually but it's a pain and I'm obviously wasting a good bit of fuel too.

System is roughly 20 years old.

Any ideas? Should I just replace with a smart system? I wouldn't be that put out as the Honeywell is a joke. If the electricity goes (which it does surprisingly often here) it defaults to 3 x 8 hours per zone per day, meaning we switch it off if we're away for any length of time. However, I would prefer to get that done later in the year if anyone has any quick fix suggestions.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Hi, if the valves are being left partially open then that sounds like a stuck-valve actuator. I'd look at replacing that faulty unit as a start and then see if the Honeywell control panel has any backup battery which could be replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭mikefromcork

Thanks for the reply.

I took off the 2 actuators and fully closed the valves but the boiler is still running and the radiators heat up both upstairs and downstairs. Any chance you would know what could explain that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

The valves may not be closing completely due to aging and/or buildup of sludge around the assembly.

The boiler is also (or at least should be) fired by an auxiliary contact in the zone valve actuator unless there is another arrangement in place. When you remove the actuator and close the valve manually, the boiler is still being fired and the very hot water may have no where to go - the result can be some back feeding into other zones.

The best job may be to replace all zone control valves in the first instance. A decision can then be made on whether to proceed with the Honeywell system or replace it with something else.

Advertisement