Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Croke park hours

Options
  • 27-01-2024 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

I was wondering if anyone knows if the matter of croke park hours were included in the public sector pay talks? Seems ridiculous that we’re still doing these pointless hours and this seemed like the best time to negotiate their removal or at the very least a reduction

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Duplotastic

Yeah, I'm wondering if they'll be discussed under the local bargaining side of things. Couldn't agree with you more.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 JP2000

Last update from the ASTI said they were going to ‘survey’ members about it. As if a survey was needed. It’s frustrating how they don’t even seem to be trying to do anything about it at a time where we actually have some bargaining power.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭2011abc

Union are really taking the proverbial at this stage .'Expressing their dismay' ,seems to be them going nuclear .Then again the Reagan-ite Minister for Education of the time (I wont even give his name the bandwidth involved)did threaten to 'remove us from the payroll' on the Nine OClock News if we didnt go back to work .Most other sectors in public service have had these odious ,pointless hours removed .Lets face it unions are in their twilight .Welcome back 1800s working conditions!

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭coillsaille

The attached is from an email sent out to ASTI members by the general secretary earlier this month. Make of it what you will, I'm not sure myself what to make of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭jayo76

I hate the Croke Park hours as much as anyone but to be totally fair its not correct that the other unions have had them removed. They had the Haddington Road Hours which are 6 additional hours removed, we didnt even get that much removed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Rant alert . You are " the union." If you don't attend meetings and make your voice heard, quit complaining. I'm primary. At a recent INTO meeting, I happened to meet our president, who as it happens is based in the 6 counties. A few female teachers here (who don't generally attend meetings) were gobsmacked to hear of the shocking maternity and sick leave provisions up there. I attend meetings and will voice my disagreement with the union position (AON,anyone?) loudly. So either turn up, or shut up. Get your motion to congress, where there are provisions to progress it. Don't be a keyboard warrior.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 JP2000

Extremely presumptuous post. Rant is right. I am an active member of the union. The ASTI is already bound by previous motions at annual conventions to seek the abolition/and or significant reduction in these hours. As far as I can see, we as members are doing all that we can, our position could not be any clearer. How many motions do you want us to bring to congress? They’ve been brought.

You’re talking about the INTO, so I think you’re basing your rant on the failings of your own union members.

It’s time for the ASTI itself to now fight for what we’ve been lobbying for. I do turn up so no, I will not shut up, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Treppen

INTO are the reason the teaching unions are powerless.

Plenty of times the TUI and ASTI were actually on the same page for action and INTO were found wanting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭2011abc

No ,we are NOT the union ! The ****s we pay three or four hundred a year are !

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

You are a member of the union, by paying the subscription. If you want to effect change, you make your voice heard where it counts, meetings, through motions to congress, not just on internet forums or social media.

• Advertisement
Advertisement