Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Calculators

Options
  • 27-01-2024 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

Running is simple, just put on your shoes and go running.

But...... once it gets its hooks into you it gets very complicated very quickly, I see it time and again on here and across the interweb, once the first 5 k is in the bag and aiming for a half, the excitement, reading and digesting, ignoring good advise, looking for ways to improve quickly (we all fall for this one). Almost daily among the online running posts I see the same questions from runners.

How do I measure my lactate?

If I run 5k at xx:xx what time should I aim for a 10k?

How do I measure my resting and maximum heartrate?

Whats my Vo2 max?

Etc etc

A lot of these can be scientifically and accurately measured under the supervision of a physiologist/sport scientist in lab but how many daily plodders have the money or the "buddy" in a lab to get these results and repeat regularly after?

"Get to the point I hear you say!", well I was wandering around the house in the dark this morning waiting for my Illy to bubble when I thought about opening a thread for links to online source of everyday ways to get a close enough metric for these without having a buddy in a lab in Trinity.

To start off I will add a link to a sight I found called Running calculators ;-)

This one had a Pfitzinger threshold calculator, pace calculator and race predictor that can be used by your average joe to get some idea of the measurements.

My question is this, have you come across a good online calculator or methodology for measuring a running metric, anything at all really, post it here, if its **** the good folk around here will point it out, if some of the experienced guys have found it useful that might also help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭marathon2022

I wear a coros pace 2, light easy to use and great GPS which has a fitness test function

https://coros.com/stories/coros-metrics/c/introducing-fitness-tests

Its evaluates

• Threshold Pace
    • Threshold HR
    • HR max

All these are helpful during training blocks. Although I must admit Ive yet to use it but I do plan on doing one in March after my 8 weeks return base block.

I know a lot of you guys wear Garmin, what metrics does this give you that you find useful?

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Good rule of thumb to calculate marathon time is 2 xhalf marathon time plus 5k time, pretty accurate for average runners (over 3 hrs).

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭BOB81

I have been using www.runalyze.com (basic version is free) for the last while to monitor running data etc - the data syncs from my garmin account and it gives predictions for a number of race distances based on its own estimations of your V02 max combined with how much weekly mileage you are doing. It has a fairly rigid algorithim for marathon times (called "marathion shape") so for me it suggests that I would need to run 50 miles per week including a long run of at least 18 miles to do a marathon time that would match up to the potential suggested by its V02 max estimation. Worth noting also that the V02 max estimation from runalyze is lower than my garmin, which I think is probably more realistic. Given the amount of assumptions made to give these estimates, I'll of course take all this with a large pinch of salt but I can report back after my marathon in March and see how close the runalyze estimates were.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭marathon2022

Nice one, similar type metrics on my Coros which is very useful especially V02 max. I did spring marathons in Manchester 2022 and Boston 2023, perfect to keep the winter blues at bay. Good luck with your marathon, I'm a bit jealous 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Haven’t heard that one before. I’d say it’s conservative for reasonably committed runners. For me, anyway, I’d be about 6 mins faster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

I've found this resource very useful over the last few years. loads of information on training plans, various calculators and product and book reviews

For a running calculator I've recommended this one last year in the Novices Thread as it was laid out very well

The race equivalent times and training paces are fairly well aligned but my Mara time is still way out but that is probably more on me than the calculator

Advertisement