Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Insurance Enquiry

Options
  • 26-01-2024 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi,

I am looking for advice please on car insurance. My car insurance is up for renewal in March 2024.

Unfortunately I was involved in a car accident a few months ago. I will be putting my car through my insurance to get repaired.

The person involved in the accident has informed me of the cost of their damages and has asked me if I want to pay myself for their repairs or go through my insurance.

My question is does anyone have any idea how much car insurance increases by if their are two claims Vs one claim?

What should I do?

Post edited by LIGHTNING on

Comments

I would recommend you always let insurance handle third parties. It’s exactly why you pay for it.

Your own car might not necessarily be seen as a separate claim as it was all the one accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭JVince

It's one accident.

Many insurance companies will avoid giving a quote or make it extremely high once they know you have had a recent accident.

The total amount of the claim and type will be important. If its purely for vehicle damage you won't be penalised too much

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭893bet

If you were in an accident a few months ago and are only claiming now expect a lot of questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Why would you put your car through the insurance to get it repaired and then entertain paying for the third party from your own funds? Makes little sense.

As said, if the incident was a few months ago then expect a lot of questions from your insurance company.

The only people who can answer as to how much your premium will increase by after the second claim will be those who work for your insurance company. Anyone here will only be providing you with speculation and anecdotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭kirving

Always always always inform your own insurance company in the event of an accident. Your police will require you to, because if you leave it too long afterward, it is nigh on impossible for them to properly interrogate claims of damage or injury by a the third party.

For reference, there is about €15k of claims open on my insurance at the moment, from two disputed incidents. They were very small bumps, but the repair costs to my car were around €10k due to expensive headlights. My insurance has gone up by €142. While I dispute the liability and the insurance companies are still working things out, I can't really argue with that tbh.

• Advertisement
Advertisement