Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FreeSport HD....Gone on FTA ?

Options
  • 26-01-2024 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

FreeSport HD....Gone on FTA ?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Not called Freesports since Nov 2022.

Viaplay are pulling out of the UK and have sold their UK operations back to Irish company Setanta Sports Broadcasting Limited (Premier Sports). However I’m led to believe the immediate cause of the closure isn’t the sale but rather that Viaplay have sold the EPG slot in the UK to Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Silly question...

I thought Sky owned and controlled and set their own epg numbering system or is this applicable to the Freeview EPG

Are Freeview EPG spaces limited or they sold their number in the category eg 408, 412 because it had value.

I thought Setanta was no longer trading.. I did not know it owned or was Premier Sports I learn something every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭lgs 4

Just wishful thinking.Sky could offer free sports channel .Like sky replay.Just wishful thinking

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Sky’s EPG is heavily regulated by Ofcom - they are required to follow particular rules (there is or was a published document setting out Sky’s EPG allocation policy). Because, traditionally, demand for EPG slots on Sky has exceed supply, the slots have become a commodity that can be bought or sold. Afaik no other EPG is like that and the other providers have much stronger control over their own EPGs.

Only the UK business of Setanta went bust. The group had businesses in several different counties including Ireland and continued. “Premier Sports” as a brand is typically used in countries where Setanta had a previous operation but (as in Ireland) they sold it or (as in the UK) they went bust. But it is the same people - Mickey O’Rourke and Leonard Ryan — and based out of the same building in Dublin. The logo being black and yellow like Setanta’s is not a coincidence.

Sky have Sky Sports Mix, which isn’t free but is part of the basic package on Sky and Virgin.

• Advertisement
Advertisement