Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2016 Golf Mark 7 - Japanese import from reputable dealer

Options
  • 26-01-2024 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭

Just looking for some feedback on this to give my head some peace -

I am driving a VW Golf Mark V, 1.6 litre auto, 138,000 km on the clock. Lovely car, had it for 13 years and has never given a day of trouble (it's also been well looked after). But niggles are starting to creep in so I have been eyeing the market for a newer model, preferably an auto. Saw a few nice examples but one in particular caught my eye from a very reputable family dealer who has been in business since 1986. Hundreds of glowing reviews on Google and Facebook. Not sure I can name them but I have searched boards.ie and there doesn't seem to be any negative mentions, which is good. Can DM if required

The car is a 2016 (162) Golf Mark 7. 1.4 TSI DSG. Only 39000 km on the clock. VERY high spec.

So I went to look at the car and take it for a test drive - I have to say it was immaculate inside and out. And it started and drove incredibly well. Engine bay was very clean. No dings or signs or repair on the bodywork.

I asked if it was an Irish car and they said no. It was a buy in as opposed to a trade in. So it turns out it's a Japanese import. I know from experience that the Japanese look after their cars. I said I was impressed and I'd think about it.

I went back a few days later with my father and gave it another look. Took it for another drive. My dad is VERY fussy about cars but even he was impressed. 

However, there was no service history in the glove compartment, which I have read can be common with Japanese imports. But I got the VIN number and did a check on the car and got a detailed Vehicle History Report, showing that the car did all its routine inspections in Japan and this also verified the mileage.

The document also included the auction sheet and photos. Car got an auction grade of 4, which I believe is the norm, and a pretty good score. Also, although it's a Japanese import, all the displays, radio etc have been switched to English. And it does have an alarm and an immobiliser. And my insurance company has said it's not a problem.

So all looks above board. Dealer is also offering a six month warranty. I have paid the deposit and am due to collect the car on Monday. I asked for a new timing belt and water pump as a precaution, which they have done. They have been very helpful and accommodating.

So why am I freaking out? Buyer's remorse? Terrified of giving up a good (albeit aging) car and buying a lemon? Has anyone had any experience buying a used Japanese car from a reputable dealer? 

Thanking you in advance.

Comments

Advertisement