Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luttrellstown Castle - any members insight?

Options
  • 26-01-2024 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

Hello again Boards.ie, its been a while but I am back this year!

For those who remember, I was an active member for a few years back until 2020 when my back gave out on me. 2 surgeries and countless other injections and rehab and I finally feel I can get back to playing, though my game is in quite rough shape now.

I am considering a membership to Luttrellstown Castle. From my experience several years ago playing there several times, I recall that it is a great course with good practice facilities. I have already enquired and it's a 3k sub but no hello money, which I am fine with. I am posting to see if there are any members who can give any more insight into the club. How is the membership and clubhouse? How busy are the weekend comps?

Also, I have read the excellent thread focused on Hermitage and other clubs in the area. I am in a similar situation to the OP, living in Terenure so most of the clubs mentioned there are also on my list. Hermitage and others mentioned in that thread sounds like great clubs but until I have a few years back playing and am confident my back can take a full season I am going to avoid investing in any club with hello money.

Secondary question, but after Luttrellstown Castle I would probably consider Lucan, Castlewarden, or Beech Park but have not played these courses. Anyone who has played them and Luttrellstown Castle, how would they compare?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Young_gunner

Beech Park is a gem of a course - it's out the M7.

I really like it, Luttrellstown would objectively be a better course though - longer and tougher. but for a weekly round on a good course, BP is quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Lutrelstown is the best course of them all to be fair.

I wouldn't put a massive amount in the course standard between the other 3.

Beech Park has a cracking run of holes to start the back 9.

Castlewarden probably has the best facilities outside of the course

Lucan invested really well in course changes.

Would probably be between Castlewarden and Lucan for clubhouse food

• Registered Users Posts: 20,758 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Lutrelstown is a lovely course - in a beautiful setting. But - from my experience , some of these big courses , and Celtic tiger styles are just , too hard and too long a walk - for day in day out - weekend club golf.

I'd be inclined to play it in say a 3 ball - time it and reconsider.

Also - a long slog for a guy coming back from an injury.

But not a member - have played it about 10 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭newindublin

Fair point about Luttrellstown  being a long walk and hard, especially for a first year back.

I just looked at Castlewarden again, I was not aware they had a full range as well, which is a big plus for me. I might give them a call and see if I can get a round there to see what I think of the course. And from my house its almost certainly going to be easier to get there for a few holes after work in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

If we can make it work, happy to play a round as I'm a member there. Long time since I've seen you newindublin too, few years since you've been out with the society (I know the injury played a big part in that)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,758 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Well to be honest ..you shouldn't underestimate that aspect ..it is an old saying here ..join the nearest club.

A pint , social side , practice , meal ....

And as we all know , getting around anywhere in Dublin is mental..for traffic reasons alone ..you need to seriously reduce your commute..when you can..

And.at this point ..whilst golfers always look at quality of course first ....they often forget and underestimate the value of other aspects .

Even heading down to short game area for even 25 mins is on (when nearer)..

@FixdePitchmark All very true advice. The nearest club to my house would be Castle or Grange. I am going to ring Grange up to see about Pavilion membership.

@spacecoyote Sounds great, if you don't mind the rust on my game! I will send a PM.

Grange are not taking applications even for pavilion, not until November. And then I would need a primary and secondary sponsor...very tough to get a foot in there it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

might see you back with the society this year so @newindublin

Advertisement