Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restoration

Options
  • 25-01-2024 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

Evening

I have an 8 seater solid wooden table and chair set.

It's currently got a dark oak varnish in colour.

We are doing a kitchen refurb and the dark wood won't suit anymore.

Is there such a service that would recondition the pieces, s]trip them back and put a light oak stain / varnish on it or is it even possible.

Really like the table and chairs and they would probably see me out they are of such quality and substance.

Appreciate any pointers.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,211 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

You could look up guys who do floor sanding and finishing. They'd have the necessary gear.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

You would be better with a furniture restorer or cabinet maker who is used to working with fine furniture. Floor sanding outfits are used to removing finishes on wooden floors , along with vast amounts of timber to get back to clean timber, fast for refinishing. They care very little about the best methods for wooden furniture restoration to return the item to its best former condition. Their finishing gear starts with 40 grit sandpaper. AAArrggghhh....

Advertisement