Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will I have to go to court?

Options
  • 25-01-2024 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all, just signed up to post this because I’m so nervous. Was on a road I’m not familiar with today and a Garda stepped out and gestured for me to pull over. When I did he asked if I knew what the speed limit was, and I responded I thought it was 80km/h. He said it was 50km/h and asked to see my license. When I asked if I would receive penalty points he said yes, and when I asked how many he said 3 (stupid questions I know I was just in complete shock). It was a completely straight piece of road with no speed bumps etc, and I was genuinely unaware of the speed. Of course I don’t contest I was speeding, and I’m happy to pay the fine and accept the points, but I googled it and now I’m terrified I’ll be charged with dangerous driving because I was 30km/h over the limit. Would he have said it at the time, or will I just have to wait to find out? Any help is appreciated, I’ve never been pulled over before or fined for speeding so I’ve no idea what to expect.

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭Homer

I’d start googling countries with no extradition treaty!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭Sono

Pay the fine, take the points and move on. No court appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭lmk123

I was caught at 85 in a 50 and just got 3 points and a fine

• Registered Users Posts: 23,841 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

It concerns me that people so anxious about basic road traffic issues have driving licences.

Ditto the awareness of speed limits. And the fact that speed ramps mean NOTHING in respect of speed limits, one way or the other.

But no, you are pretty unlikely to be brought to Court. Unless they are looking to get their Stats up, in which case you *may* be summonsed. Take your medicine and bear in mind in future that speed limits only change where you see two signs marking it. It doesn't matter what the road *looks* like, it only matters what the last speed limit signs you passed said. Even if those signs were the night before, on your way home to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭sham58107

As others have said just pay the fine and stop googling and do not heed any advice on here to get a solicitor or lawyer as frequently called on here.

Just be a little more careful in future, he would have told you if he was charging you with dangerous driving or any other offence .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,029 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Use Google maps on your phone, it shows the speed limit in the area and is almost always right unless it's changed recently

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭peter4918

Do not need the advice on here………continues to give advice 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Madd002

Was on dual carriageway between 2 villages on the N4 west, went through 1st roundabout headed for next village nothing in front or behind was doing 130km on that stretch, coming up to roundabout looked in rear view mirror unmarked car with blue lights flashing, went round roundabout and pulled into hard shoulder 2 bangarda, one comes up to window says I was speeding held out speed gun told me to look in, I apologise give her my licence she goes back to car comes back 5mins later and says I'll receive fine & 3points in post. I again apologise and say yes I broke the law so deserved. Anyhow fine never came in post after 6 months I wondered what if it was delivered to wrong house and should I ring station. Was out for dinner about 8mnths later get chatting to a guy who happened to to be a detective told him story and he said she obviously didn't do her paperwork and to forget about it. That was over 2yrs ago.Ps only ever had 3 points in my 23yrs driving got them first week it became law.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dickdasr1234

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Did your detective acquaintance also tell you that we don't call them "bangarda" [sic] any more?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Madd002

He wasn't my acquaintance just someone who happened to be a detective sitting at the next table to my husband and I in a bar, I still call female garda bangarda, was brought up calling them that, that's what they were, didn't know the name was changed to just garda, I never have the pleasure of being around them so maybe that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭lmk123

I’d say you’re great crack at a party 🙄🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭j2

They're going to put you under the jail.

The poster said “do not HEED any advice on here to get a solicitor or lawyer….”.

Assuming you meant to say “heed” instead of “need”, that’s still quite different from saying don’t take any advice on here. The poster was clearly advising against specific commonly spouted advice given on here.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 10,435 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I'd venture to suggest that it's safer to drive 80kph in a 50kph zone on a straight road and keep your eyes on the road.

Than be foostering around checking Google maps on yer phone!! Pay attention.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Moderation: There's no need to get into a general road safety/driving standards thread, there's enough of those around. I think the OP has their answer there, they're most likely going to get a fine and points in the post and won't be troubling the District Court. I'll leave the thread open for in case the OP wants to contribute in the future, so long as things don't degrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Wait for the FPCN to come through the door, if it's just speeding pay it and learn the lesson.

If it arrives with more than speeding on it then maybe consult a solicitor to plead leniency in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dickdasr1234

How in the name of god do you come to make an assumption like that? Are you on medication?

• Advertisement
Advertisement