Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What building regulation covers stepped DPC over a flat roof? (see picture)

Options
  • 25-01-2024 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Below is a picture from an old Homebond book on the correct location of a stepped DPC over a flat roof.

I would like to find the exact Irish building regulation which covers this detail so that i can cite the regulation in a college paper. Does anyone now what the building regulation reference is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,822 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Part D would cover it.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭GerryCarry

Thanks very much. Do you know where i can access all the Irish building regulations for free?

Here ya go

You should also read up on all other relevant docs that can be found here

I have difficulty understanding these. I would have thought the irish building regulation documents would have illustrations (similar to the Homebond book) of where the DPC was to go above a flat roof and around a window for example. I don't see any diagrams in any of the links you sent to me. The only item i can find, relative to this thread, is the following vague line:

C4 The floors, walls and roof of a building shall be so designed and constructed as to prevent the passage of moisture to the inside of the building or damage to the fabric of the building.

SOURCE: https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1997/si/497/made/en/print

But as you can see that is a very vague statement. It does not tell you where the DPC should actually go. It does not even mention a DPC or DPM.

The building regs are not all encompassing and do not illustrate methods and methodology in a lot of cases. The technical guidance documents do show some illustrations of ways in which compliance can be achieved but again they dont rule out alternative methods. You may get an overlay of what is required but a lot of detailing is down to good and acceptable building practices using approved materials. You need to look up the various codes of practice, building standards, IS codes etc etc.

• Advertisement

This is what i find odd. If for example there is no illustration of where a DPC should go in relation to a flat roof, then how can the builder be held liable in a court of law for installing it the wrong way? The builder can say his way is right and the architect overseeing the project can say his/her way is right. I would have thought the building regulations are there to give the court guidance on which way to rule in the case of legal disputes such as this.

Do you have links to:

The various codes of practice

IS codes

• Registered Users Posts: 39,025 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The building regs are not intended to be a set for instructions to build every possible building, that would be a impossible task. They are a list of requirements that building design and construction and the like need to meet. The Homebond book is an example of how you could build a house, meeting the regs.

C4 The floors, walls and roof of a building shall be so designed and constructed as to prevent the passage of moisture to the inside of the building or damage to the fabric of the building.

But as you can see that is a very vague statement.

I don't find that a vague statement at all. It's very clear what the requirements are. Water need to be kept outside the building. That's the what. The how is another matter.

If the builder insists his way is right, and does it differently to the construction drawings. But it ends up failing and letting in water. Then the builder is liable, as his way was not correct and failed (and by definition did not meet the regs).

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭C. Eastwood

The 5 purposes of the Building Regulations are as follows:-

1. Health, and Welfare, and Safety of People in or around buildings
    2. Access for Persons with Disabilities
    3. Conservation of Fuel and Energy.

If there is ingress of rainwater through or around a DPC in a wall - then this is not in accordance with the Health and Welfare of the people occupying the Building

The Building Regulations are very complicated.

Therefore retain a qualified Registered or Chartered Construction Professional in Private Practice with Professional Indemnity Insurance, who will ensure that the Builder will build in accordance with the Building Regulations and provide necessary Certification in accordance with the Building Regulations - when the building is completed.

Also bear in mind that in Ireland a person does not require any qualifications to masquerade as a Building Contractor, and Builders are not obliged to have Professional Indemnity Insurance.

A good recommendation is to retain a Building Contractor who is a State Certified Craftsman - either a Mason, or Plasterer, or Carpenter & Joiner OR have a recognised Construction degree and/ oral Professional Construction Qualification, etc.

The Building Contractor should be able to provide Craft Certificates for all Craftspersons working on the construction of the building.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,025 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I agree with getting an appropriate professional. But "Registered or Chartered Construction Professional" is bit meaningless. That's the kinds of ambiguous title/qualification a person who is not suitably qualified or experienced often use to present themselves as experienced.

A accountant working for a Tier one builder could be chartered. A plumber could be registered, etc. A lot of industries are plagued with meaningless accreditation. And Ireland seems particular bad since the Tiger days, when every "engineer" felt he could design buildings.

Advertisement