Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amateur Sports Photography

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,912 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

You've an Olympus E-420 which has a Micro Four Thirds (MFT) sensor. Meaning that compared to "Full Frame", it has a x2 crop factor. So to get the "equivalent" focal length of one of the MFT lenses in Full Frame terms (which is the reference point by which I and many photographers think), you multiply by two

So the 40-150 is equivalent to an 80-300 on full frame, and the 70-300 is equivalent to a 140-600 on FF.

If I was shooting kids GAA on my full frame camera, 600mm would be too much. There would be times when it would be good to zoom in to action at the far end of the field, but generally, you will be taking shots of play you're relatively near to. And you're not taking portraits across the field - you want the whole of the player(s) and some contextual environment in the shot. So you don't need that much reach. I'd most likely spend most of my time in and around 150-300mm (75-150mm on MFT) for the action out on the field, and then obviously things could happen closer to me that I'd want something wider for.

So I think in terms of focal length, the 40-150 is the better choice. The 40-150 is also a slightly "faster" lens (f3.5-4.5), which will allow you slightly higher shutter speeds, which are what you need to freeze the action in sports shooting.

MPB have the f3.5-4.5 version here for €164 (used), which is an amazing price for almost any lens:

https://www.mpb.com/en-eu/product/olympus-m-zuiko-digital-ed-40-150mm-f-4-5-6

There is a faster 40-150 f2.8 that would be ideal for sports, but it's a fair bit more expensive (but at €934-€999, still a bargain for a good lens):

https://www.mpb.com/en-eu/product/olympus-m-zuiko-digital-ed-40-150mm-f-2-8-pro

If you wanted to get into nature photography, particularly birds, the 70-300 would be the one to go with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Thanks for the reply.

I take it this one would be the 150mm one you're referring to?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,912 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Yep, that’s the one. I thought the MPB prices were good, but €88 all in is a steal.

I've ordered that one, but the 70 - 300 mm lens has arrived already. To get me started, what settings should I be using, adjusting etc.... as I learn how to use it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement