Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tyre fitters issue looking for advice

Options
  • 25-01-2024 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭

Missus needed a new set of tyres, went off herself to a tyre place.

Fella charged her €75 a corner and didn't change any of the valve stems, the rubber on all of them is very split. Shouldn't this have been included in the €75 per tyre price.

Just need to know I'm justified in my complaints before I go giving out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Does the car have TPMS?

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭ThreeGreens

Personally (and I'm no expert on this) I would not have expected them to be changed as part of the tyres price.

You ask for tyres, and you get quoted for tyres. Anything extra you want is extra.

I recently got 4 new tyres. I asked for a price for them. I couldn't expect them to do anything more than replace the 4 tyres. Otherwise they'd need to see the car before quoting for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

That's what the stems look like

Neither am I, but I've always had new valves on the tyres with a new set.

Figured it was standard practice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

€75 a corner seems very expensive to me unless they called to you and it includes a call out fee.

Edit: Just reread the OP. €75 a corner from a tyre centre seems crazy to me. Was it actually worth buying them online.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

€75 per corner is cheap.

What brand are the tyres?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

What size tyres? What brand did she get?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭GPoint

I also often had new valves fitted when I did not ask for them but not in every garage.

Just ask politely if they are good or need to be replaced no need to give out.

And yes 75 for a tyre is dirt cheap must be some ditch finder.

16". Writing on the tyre wall says Duraman, generic Chinese I guess. Cheapest was €65 per corner so one up from that.

Edit: Sorry it's a 15 inch tyre, so €75 I think is alright for that size.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

where did the OP say they bought them online, by my reading it was 75 per tyre including fitting. Which is cheapo, I just paid 90 per tyre for some mid-range rubber.

I know they need to be replaced because the front passenger was going flat within a few days.

It's a MK3 1.6 diesel focus. 90% of the time my daughter is in the car, so not like we're trying to find the apex of every corner.

The budget tyres are usually grand for normal driving, and everyone's situation is different, we didn't have the money to shell out for Michelin Pilot sports unfortunately

It's a 15 inch tyre though, dont know what size tyres are on your car but it tends to be a bit cheaper than a 17 or 18 inch.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭HBC08

OP,

That seems a really cheap price.

I would expect the bare minimum there in terms of tyre and anything else.

Seems fair for the size of tyre tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭GPoint

I had similar issues but with a 2008 mondeo and it was because the alloy wheels were rusty inside and the tyre wall would not make good contact with it and so was leaking air. My local tyre garage were sanding it for me and putting on sealant every time I changed tyres and also few times in between.

Agree that tyres became expensive though it is true!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Buffman

To give you an idea OP assuming it's a 195/65R15 my usual crowd currently range from €64 to €129 all in, that includes 'the new tyre fitted and balanced, new rubber valve (except TPMS valves), old tyre disposal (v.E.M.C.) and VAT'.

Always worth a few minutes shopping around a bit for them first. If that's not the size, put it in here to give you an idea, I've rarely been able to find cheaper in Dublin.

https://tyresforlongmiles.ie/?n=Tyre_prices

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 FCTwenteBenson

Seems cheap, I also have a mk3 diesel focus and paid €90 per corner for mid-range toyos, mine were 16 inch, a few months back. Can't speak to the valve issue though I always assumed they were changed with the tyres.

• Advertisement

Sorted anyway thanks for the inputs.

Rang the garage and your man on the phone said "ah yeah sometimes we do them sometimes we don't, hand it out to us tomorrow and we'll sort it"

Reckon the fella knew what he was doing. Missus and mother in law arrived on the day and unfortunately people tend to take advantage of women who bring their cars to garages sometimes.

Advertisement