Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching insurance providers mid-cycle, does my NCB expiry date update

Options
  • 25-01-2024 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭

My current car insurance provider (Liberty) are not quoting me on my new car that arrives in a few weeks. I have reasonable quotes from other providers so I can switch and it isn't a major issue.

My situation is a bit complicated, but here it is:

1. I was insured from October 2011 to October 2021
    2. In October 2021, I didn't renew.
    3. 1 year and 11 months passed (less than 2 years passed for NCB expiry).
    4. In September 2023 I bought a banger and started a new policy to ensure my NCB did not expire.
    5. In a few weeks (February 2024), I will be purchasing a new car and my current car insurance provider refuses to quote me on the new car.

So, my question is, if I switch insurance providers now then does the expiry date on my NCB also update? I'm worried that the date for my last NCB will be October 2021 which is over 2 years ago so I would lose my NCB.

I rang Liberty to ask them and the guy I talked to said it would be fine but I'm not sure if he completely understood the situation.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You won't get a half year NCB so your latest full will still be from October 2021.

Are they refusing to quote as new business or outright? Insurers are more willing to insure cars they "won't insure" when its a transfer or renewal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Are you sure about this or are you just guessing? Do you know what details are on the NCB document? My thinking is that if it's just the number of NCB years and the policy expiry date then I should be ok.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've changed mid year. You don't get a new NCB document.

You can get a letter from the insurer saying you didn't claim which you (or a broker, more likely) might be able to convince a new insurer to take in lieu.

Thanks. I just fished this letter out from my files with a previous policy. The only dates on it are the document issued date and the policy end date. If the NCB document looks like this then it should be fine right? I should also say that my policy before 2021 was with Liberty.

Just an update on this. I emailed Liberty Insurance and they have said the following which indicates that I should be ok:

Thank you for your email dated the 25th January 2024.

From looking at the file I note that you have nine years no claims discount. We will issue out a statement when your policy has cancelled.

If there are any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Does that sound ok?

• Advertisement
Advertisement