Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late Late Toy Show - The Musical

Options
  • 25-01-2024 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Given the damming evidence that is coming to light about the loss of €2.2 million, why are the two RTE directors Jane Murphy and Katherine Drohan not hauled over the coal concerning this? I assume they are both well-paid professionals but they were paid extra for this disaster. Do they have something to answer for here? The latest report is that the musical was not even signed off by the board which ultimately means someone else was calling the shots. Surely they would be able to say who was calling the shots and who was signing the cheques. These people need to stop hiding behind the board and be held accountable.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭scottser

'waiting for the report'..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The little old lady CEO, Siun's position must be coming into question.

It's clear that board members who were there when this gross waste of money went past their noses, must resign.

She says they shouldn't. She and they should go.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

How come nobody is mentioning Coveney at all with respect to this report?

Wasn't this his solo run?

Minister Martin as usual is very poor here. She is doing nothing.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

If they are forced out or resign surely they will no longer be accountable or answerable.to PAC. It's better to keep them on, and not accept their voluntary resignation if offered, than allow them escape scrutiny on this.

I worked with these types and they prefer to hide in the long grass...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,399 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

There doesn't seem to be any mention of who was driving the project, initially when the musical was being launched there was mention of some people associated with the production of the Late Late Show involved in the idea. How a €2.2 million pet project financed by public money without board approval gets going tells you the level of financial control within the organisation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,326 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,642 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Ah, 2.2 million is nothing. Sure the Dept of EDUCATION, spent 3.3 million of your money posting pay slips last year 🤣🤣🤣

I just heard that all the names are redacted.

Which means Crony Coveney's brother will be protected and there will be zero accountability. A reward for past favours I guess.

Banana republic

• Registered Users Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

In normal circumstances, yes. But there's nothing left to be accountable for here - it's all laid out in the report. They're not going to be liable in any financial sense.

At least getting them to resign now, would be embarrassing for them.

Allowing them to fade away into the long grass is no good to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

@Furze99 Agree, except for the fact that the names of all the people are redacted in the public report.

If some of these people get called to PAC, then they are being asked to account for their decisions/conduct/oversight etc in a very public and embarrassing way.

Plus, the nation needs another Mattie McGrath questioning session...😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

If somebody took 2.8million of RTE's money and spent it on something they are not authorized to do so, then it is theft. Pure and simple.

If somebody took my money without asking I'd certainly consider it theft.

Losing your job should be the absolute least of your worries, it's the Guards you'd be answering to.

It's almost irrelevant that it only made 600k back, or if it had been profitable. It's still taking public money without any authorization.

With all these scandals in RTE and many other public bodies, the main thing that sickens me is there is is no accountability or consequence. I'm not naïve enough to expect everybody everywhere to be whiter than white, but there should at least be strong deterrence against this behaviour.

The names on the report were even redacted from the Minster. Complete joke. They did it so that people would cooperate. Dee Forbes was the only one that didn't participate because she is pretending to be ill.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cheddar Bob

It would be gas if our next bright young thing in the Ronan/ Keoghan mould breaks through to the big time around 2035 and it turns out they made their childhood acting debut in this by then long forgotten farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,399 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Is this a fact free zone ?

She is not the CEO.

She is the Chair of the Board.

She was not the Chair when the events in question occured.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭animalinside

Trust RTE to reckon they're responsible for the overwhelming success of the actual Late Late Toy Show rather than the actual kids and people guiding them to perform, and anything they touch is gold.

LLTS is a great idea but it was decades ago that RTE had it, it'd be hard to mess up the formula at this point, especially since it has such a tradition and history to it - but RTE are doing their best and being creative to still mess it up somehow...

Also how do we know really that it wasn't atrocious? Nobody's going to say a show with kids performing was horrendous, at least not in this context, I'm suspicious of people saying it was good and the only downside was enough people didn't go.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

When my children were young they were enrolled in different activities. Whenever they had performances, the only people expected to attend, and did attend, were the families of the children. I never thought the LLTS was a good idea. Certainly not good enough to throw 2.2m at.

Advertisement