Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT fail: unable to hold high idle

Options
  • 25-01-2024 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi

Rather frustrated with the NCT after yesterday's test. Couldn't do emissions test because the tester was unable to hold the throttle steady, and it apparently smoked too much.

I don't know how the guy was using the throttle, because I could hold a nice steady 2k, 2,5k, 3k, 3.5k - whatever rpm I wanted the morning before the test, in the parking lot after the test, and at home in the evening. The only way you could screw this up is by using the throttle linkage under the hood - if you do that, the throttle pedal position sensors don't work, so obviously the engine get confused and doesn't idle right. I'm pretty sure they over-revved it too, I'm pretty sure I heard the rev limiter cut in (it's not the fun one where it cuts spark and bounces off the limt, it's the one that cuts fuel and restores it 500 rpm under the redline)

Magically, no smoke mornig before test, no smoke when getting fixed at garage, magically smoke appears during at the test center. No smoke when I got it home, even when holding it at 4k rpm for a minute or so. Didn't watch them test it becuase I didn't want to look like some eejit staring through the glass, but maybe I should next time.

Rather mad because this car has had a fair bit of work put into it, and apparently it runs fine everywhere but the NCT centre. It runs fine when the garage tests it (they have no exhaust machine, but it revs up smoothly and doesn't smoke).

And to top it all off, I was going to submit a complaint, but the only place you can get the form is at the test center! How hard is it to provide a pdf to print??

Tagged:

Advertisement